Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM for BlackBerry

RShaw
My Device: Curve 8520

BBM Chat History - Migration to Q10

I was convinced that this would have been asked already, but I couldn't find any similar questions - not here or on the web in general.

I had a Curve 8520 and followed all the directions for migrating my old phone's data to my Q10.  I just discovered that I lost my BBM chat history.  My Q10 only goes back to the date that I migrated, so I tried to restore the newest backup to my old Curve, and there is no chat history there.

So I presume that chat histories are not backed-up on the Desktop Manager?  If so, what a shame that this be left out when we can back-up just about anything else.

I was storing the old chat history on my old phone for very important reasons.  Right or wrong, at the time of migration I must have been convinced that I would still be able to access the old chat history.  If anyone has encountered this same issue and has information for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

If this has been discussed already, I'd appreciate being redirected accordingly and apologize for the duplication.

Agian, much appreciated.

Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: BBM Chat History - Migration to Q10

Hey RShaw,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

BBM conversations will not be backed up through BlackBerry ID, it will bring over the BBM contacts and not the conversation history.

My apologies,  let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

Re: BBM Chat History - Migration to Q10

When will the backup and restore of BBM chat history finally work? Is there a timeframe for this badly needed fix?

At least a export to XML would work for now until we get able to reimport the files.

I would really like to upgrade from a Z10 to a Z30, but searching the internet there seems to be still no working solution.

I've lost in the past already 2 times my chat history and won't do anything until I can ensure to backup and migrate it properly to a new device.