Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM for iPhone

tadams_de
My Device: NA

BBM app and flip flopping between phones

I am one of those persons who flip flop between smartphones frequently. Almost every other day I am using a different phone out of a set of several smartphones.

The BBM app is not really useful for people like me because the BBM PIN seems to be attached to the device. I am sure most people here with a background in using Blackberry hardware don't know it any other way, find it normal, and am puzzled why this could be a problem for other people.

But it is. If today I use my iPhone 4 and invite people to my BBM contacts, tomorrow on an iPhone 5 or Android I will have a different PIN and thus an empty contact list. Am I supposed to ask people every other day to accept my BBM invitation? And do I need to send a mass text every other day to let people know which PIN is the "PIN of the day" so that they can reach me?

As we need to login to the BBM app on iPhone and Android in order to use it I think it would only be normal if you would derive the BBM PIN from the account rather than from the device. In today's world devices are changed so frequently I really don't understand why the archaic system of having the device determine your PIN was recreated for the apps.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
fischersd
My Device: iPhone 5s

Re: BBM app and flip flopping between phones

This might actually work for you, but you might have some "growing pains" as the folks at BlackBerry fix all of the bugs in the Android and iOS BBM clients.

Your BBM contacts are tied to your BBID, NOT your PIN.  Your PIN is unique to each device, yes.  It has to be.  This is a security feature built into BlackBerry to prevent people from cloning BlackBerry devices.  

If everything works properly, you'll get all of your contacts when you sign in with your BBID on each device.

Now, that being said - as you're migrating so much, I'd use e-mail rather than PIN when sending out invitations.  (that could get messy - possibly hold invitations in queue until you signon with that PIN/device again).

Please use plain text.