Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM

New Contributor
My Device: non-Blackberry user
My Carrier: Rogers

BBM Virus/Hack? Or is my gf lying?

I really need help with this problem. Sunday night I was chatting with my new gf on BBM Messenger (she uses iPhone, I'm on Android) and I received a contact card from her, which was an invite to add someone with a picture of her 4-year-old nephew. I was unsure what to do and asked what it was. When she didn't answer for a couple of minutes I went ahead and sent the invite, thinking maybe she was switching accounts or something. Then she disappeared from my contact list. Shortly thereafter I got a text from her warning me that the invite was a virus she got from a website that had deleted all of her BBM contacts as well as her pictures and other apps, so I quickly canceled the invite since it had not been accepted yet. She claimed that she was so freaked out she was deleting BBM and wouldn't be using anymore third party messenging apps. Besides, she said, she really only used BBM to talk to me. I bought her story, not knowing much about this kind of stuff.

Last night (Monday) she came over and after dinner, I saw her using BBM again. When I confronted her about it, she said she had spoken to Apple and they told her her apps should be fine, so she had just reinstalled it. After some heated discussion, her story changed slightly as she claimed she was only on BBM to tell her friends she wouldn't be using it anymore. I didn't ask, but I wondered afterward how she added all her contacts again if they had been deleted? And why she didn't add me, because I never got any notices and she never re-appeared on my contact list.

I scoured Google and have so far found no record of anything like this happening with BBM Messenger. So my question is: could any of this be true or is it total BS? I really want to believe her, and I don't want to make any false accusations. But as soon as it happened I got a sick feeling that I was being lied to. Could this kind of virus/hack really have happened?

Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BBM Virus/Hack? Or is my gf lying?

To be honest, it sounds like BS to me. There is no way any virus sent a bogus invite on BBM.

Deleting BBM from the device will not delete all the contacts as they are saved in her BBID account. The only way she would disappear from your contact list is if she deleted you herself.

I don't want to speculate about what exactly is up but her story is very suspect. I can guarantee it wasn't a virus or a "hack." It's something she did.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get 15% off a new BlackBerry device from ShopBlackberry! Use discount code vj7wgxj9w (Limited time only!!!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: non-Blackberry user
My Carrier: Rogers

That sounds pretty definite. She is still denying she did anything and swears she doesn't know what happened. Says her brother got the same invite and it messed up his phone too. This is so frustrating.

Solutions: 6,259
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I call foul. Very odd.

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10(STL100-1) Z30(STA100-2)
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Ive never heard of BBM getting virus or hacked...

sent from my IMBA BlackBerry Smartphone