Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Accessories

New Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

FINGER PRINT READER

Hi BB,

I don't know, if the BB moderators will look at this message.

But today when Iwas using my iPhone, I got an idea, that,

HOW WILL IT BE IF WE HAVE A FINGER PRINT READER ON THE PHONE FOR MORE ENHANCED SECURITY AMY BE ON THE SIDES????????

Just a thought.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: FINGER PRINT READER

hello,

there are several fingerprint readers available for BlackBerry OS5/6/7, for instance this one:
http://crackberry.com/uk-police-issued-blackberry-smartphone-comes-fingerprint-scanner

On the other hand I don't know if the manufacturers have already designed one that will be compatible with the Z10.

That being said, apart from the police I do not see who could benefit from such a feature, the device is quite bulky.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

I was not talking on those terms, but just like a Power button, a volume up/down button, jsut like a small device on my Thinkpad a finger print scanner is more secure, when You are actually actually dealing with highly confidential information and when You have people around You, who want to steal data from Your phone, it might be helpful.

Its not for regular people though. I'm now surrounded by people who are waiting for an opportunity to steal my data, in that case, if I have a finger print reader, then definitely, they cannot steal any information, from me.

That was the idea.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I have always had difficulties understanding how this could be more secure than a 10 characters password that you change every week.

Anyway, I am not sure the BlackBerry is what you need under those conditions, since you cannot use X.509 certificates to encrypt your emails.

The strength of a security chain equals the strength of its weakest link, and the weakest link here is not the device password.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: 64GB Playbook, 16+32GB Z-10
My Carrier: Rogers

Reading my device password by fingerprint would be a great idea as the current keyboard entry method is cumbersome as you need to navigate the whole qwerty keyboard instead of just the number pad. I'll be happy having the fingerprint option on the screen.