Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Accessories

New Contributor
brite1
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: sprint

Will the Z-10 accept one of the Credit Card Readers?

While other Smart Phones will accept the credit card readers I understand that the Z10 will not.  Is that true?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Will the Z-10 accept one of the Credit Card Readers?

Hello,

You have to ask the credit card reader hardware/software developer that question. It's normally a matter of them making their stuff compatible with the device, not the other way around.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brite1
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: sprint

I would think that someone in the general support forums could answer this question.  If BlackBerry is a Smart Phone the credit card readers function well with Apple products shouldn't they work with BlackBerry?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Really? I thought I was trying to answer your question. Maybe I don't understand your words there...but, in any event...

The BB10 devices being so very new to the market means that many things are still developing and evolving. I actually had thoughts about this function today, but have not looked into it yet...but the place to look is the hardware/software site for the card reader, not on the BB site.

"SmartPhone" is the Super-Set of all mobile devices. But, Apple products are Apple products. BB products are BB products. Android products are Android products. They are not the same. You cannot simply take something that is developed for one platform and use it on another platform. Neither hardware nor software works that way.
Do you take software for a MAC computer and simply use it on a Windows PC? I don't think so...

The card reader itself should I think work fine as it works via the headset ports. But the card reader by itself is rather useless...you must have software that can take the information from the card reader and do something with it. That software must be written specifically for every platform that the developer wishes to support.

So, again, I refer you to the developers of the card reader, as it's they who must write their software so as to function on a BB10 device...not the other way around.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

the Z10 can support NFC payment, but the iPhone cannot.

as far as I understand things, credit card reader module makers are waiting for the Q10 to be released, so they can work on both Z10 and Q10 devices at the same time.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello,

the BlackBerry 10.1 OS will be compatible with the BlackBerry Smart Card Reader 2.0.

Check the announcement :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Announcements/Announcing-BlackBerry-10-1-OS/m-p/2345427

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
velocitymj
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-mobile

I own a Q10. As of this date, I have found only one CC reader for OS 10. The company is Paymentmax. They've had numerous complaints against them, can't be contacted by phone and somewhat dubious. I won't use them and I'm without a credit card reader now.
Actually, I'm trying to find a CC reader and Google search led me here. What does that tell you.
Please use plain text.