Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
steveurkel123
My Device: Q10 / 9900
My Carrier: O2

BB 10 - Smartcard Reader Support App & Proximity Lock etc.

Hi,

S/MIME isnt supported without an BES10, ok. :-(

But, can i use the Smart Card Reader 2.0 without BES10 at least for Proximity Lock on my new Q10 like at my 9900?

Will be Smartcards (like the Safenet 330) supported on BB10 without BES10? (For Device Lock or to get VPN Certificates from the Smartcard)

Is the Smart Card Support App released? I cant find it in the App World :-(

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: BB 10 - Smartcard Reader Support App & Proximity Lock etc.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-10-Accessories/Will-the-Z-10-accept-one-of-the-Cre...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steveurkel123

Thanks for your reply. I have read too that 10.1 supports the Reader. It seems that Users must install a Special App called "Smart Card Support App" before. This App isnt available at the BB-World and therefore i can not connect my Smart card Reader to my q10 with os 10.1 :-(

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I do not see what application you are referring to. Where did you read that exactly?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steveurkel123

I refer to the official Blackberry Q10 10.1 manual. Under Passwords & Security you find a "About Smart Cards" Section.

here is the Link: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/50635/als1334337087097.jsp

"...About smart cards

After you download the BlackBerry Smart Card Support app from BlackBerry World, you can use a smart card and your device password to unlock your BlackBerry device. You can also use smart card certificates to send S/MIME-protected messages................."

There is no way to pair the Smartcard Reader with the Device without this App. The normal Bluetooth Pairing function doesnt work because the Reader is a special Device (which works with 256 bit AES-Encryption etc.)

On a 9900/9930 you must enter the Reader Section in the Settings and then select a "Connection-Assistant" which turns Bluetooth on and asks for pressing Buttons on the Reader/entering Pins displayed on the Reader..

Please use plain text.
kbattas
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

I am in the same boat.  The documentation clearly states to download the app but the app does not exist.  I submitted a feedback message at the bottom of the article.  I also sent in a request into our IT department to see if it is a corporate app or BES setting that needs to be pushed on the work side.  It would be nice if Blackberry could give some feedback.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steveurkel123

My toughts about the Manual was "maybe the Manual is written for Future Features"

But i found a new Article in the Knowledege Base: KB34524

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB34524&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

Now i think the App is really existing and available.  But where?

@kbattas: if you found a solution please Post it here, Thx!

Please use plain text.