Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
harrmn
My Device: Q10

BB10 Contacts issue

Hi,

I am not new to BB but am to BB10 having just got a Q10, I am using exchange as well as pop and MSN emails. I synced the exchange contacts and when I go into contacts all are there and I can call from there. but if I use the telephone option and type in names many are not recognised.

any ideas? I have tried removing 'local' contacts but still continues.

thanks all

Retired
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: BB10 Contacts issue

Hey harrmn,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

When going through the phone application it will only display contacts that have a phone number in the phone field of the contact.

Have you verified that the contacts that are not displaying have a phone number in the contact information? If yes, try recreating one of these contacts and test to see if the contact is displayed when doing a search.

Let me know if recreating the contact helps.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
harrmn

Hi,

yes, the contacts not showing in the telephone option do indeed have telephone numbers. it seems to be picking up just 'local' contacts to show as options. I have tried deleting the local contacts and the local calendar but the problem still arises. Having 3500 contacts means a manual work around is not viable.

After this next software update I guess the only thing left is a full reset and start again.

However, Blackberry Link option to Reload does not work.

Contributor
linmanie
My Device: Blackberry Q10

I am having the same problem. Yes the contacts that do not show up have numbers in the number field.

I tried re-creating a contact and it still will not show up.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

can you edit the number to use the international format that starts with a + ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
pistold
My Device: z10

The same thing is happening with my device. It only accesses local contacts in the phone application, regardless of how the number is entered into the phone field. Please advise on how I can fix this.

Visitor
travis_jojo

This is my second time using a BB device.  I have a bold 9790 which has been working totally fine in all aspects.. I have barely used my new Q10, but I think I am in love with the phone already, it certainly is so fun and easy to use. 

On my computer, I transfered all my contacts to my Q10 device from my bold 9790 and the operation was successful as I had hoped. Only problem I am having is with my contacts being mixed up somehow. 

If one of my contacts (Contact A) tries to reach me either by calls or text message, it shows up as another contact (Contact B, C, Z). I have had to answer calls, hear voices or conversations to know who I am talking to because the name that shows up never happens to be the actual person or # calling. 

I have tried clearing and restoring my contacts again but  I find myself in the same spot. Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

Trusted Contributor
rambo47
My Device: BlackBerry Q10

[ Edited ]

@ Travis_jojo

It sounds like you are describing the phantom linking of unrelated contacts that has been widely reported. it appears that if you have several cloud sources for contacts some of them will be randomly linked without your knowledge. This was happening to me. The solution was to completely wipe my device to factory settings and then to set up only one cloud contacts source. For me it's iCloud (former iPhone user here). I had both LinkedIn and iCloud, plus I enabled Verizon's free BAPlus (contacts backup to Verizon's cloud) and all manner of havoc ensued. After wiping/restoring with only a single source of cloud contacts the problem is solved for me. I won't touch the BAPlus app and I'm leaving LinkedIn disabled in contacts. 

Warning: This wipes all your data so backup via BlackBerry Linke before proceediing!

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello,

please read these two articles from the public knowledge base:

KB33764 SMS messages appear to come from the wrong contact when received on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

KB34194 SMS Messages appear to be sent to different contacts after receiving them on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: