Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
rocmon
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + 64GB MicroSD
My Carrier: Rogers

BB10 Delete Email(s) from a "Search By ..." result list

There’s a problem I’ve noticed when managing my inbox, in previous BBos – I would frequently use “search by …” in my consolidated inbox to isolate a group of emails which I was done with (such as google alerts emails). Once the list of matching emails was located, I would quickly scroll through the list (often lengthy) to confirm nothing I wanted to keep was included and once I was satisfied all found emails were obsolete I would position at the top of the list and menu->delete prior – poof!

Managing my inbox was a breeze J

In BB10, it appears the delete prior is missing (when in a search result list) and today I’ve confirmed with a few others that delete doesn’t work at all whilst in a search result list.

On a side (related) note, when I select a lot of emails (20+) for delete (from the main hub emails) and select Delete, it appears to be running some kind of script in background as the emails disappear one at a time… not a huge complaint, but I have to wait for them to complete as the visual is a little disconcerting i.e. will they all be deleted? Will move to something else interrupt this process? Etc.

Can someone confirm how these painfully slow deletes actually execute and also, more importantly, comment on the fix for delete from search results list with the addition of delete prior (from search results list).

BB10 issue with Delete in a 'Search By...' results list

peace and love
Developer
rocmon

Re: BB10 Delete Email(s) from a "Search By ..." result list

Hope it's rectified with the update :smileyhappy:
peace and love
Developer
rocmon

still not working as expected after update to 10.0.10.85

peace and love
sthorntonca
My Device: z10

The ability to mass delete messages from search results is sorely missed. I appreciate it's not as severe with the 30 - day limitation, but with that being lifted in upcoming updates, we need a means of quickly organizing and cleaning the inbox selectively via search.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

rocmon wrote:

On a side (related) note, when I select a lot of emails (20+) for delete (from the main hub emails) and select Delete, it appears to be running some kind of script in background as the emails disappear one at a time… not a huge complaint, but I have to wait for them to complete as the visual is a little disconcerting i.e. will they all be deleted? Will move to something else interrupt this process? Etc.

when you have selected several messages,

when you hit the delete button in the menu,

this is what happens:

1. the Z10 sends a command to the server to delete the selected emails
  2. the server deletes email #1234
  3. the server sends the information "email #1234 is deleted"
  4. the server deletes email #1235
  5. the Z10 recfeives the information and deletes the email
  6. and so on with message 1235 : send info

all is done asynchronously, which explains why you are not feeling well with the visual behaviour (human eyes are not used to such asynchronous actions).

When you were with OS7 and prior, the deletion would be accompanied by the deletion on your device, without waiting for the emails to be deleted on server side.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: