Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: verizon

Blackberry Z10 and Choice of deleting Email on phone or the phone and the server

Just like the 9930 my email is set up through a POP account. When deleting I was given the option to delete from the phone or from the phone and the server. This option is no longer available and I lost a bunch of emails that went away for ever!!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Z10 and Choice of deleting Email on phone or the phone and the server

Hello,

There are many threads here about this topic. BB10 is a revolutionary change from before...not evolutionary. Hence, it should not be expected that things work as they did before.

As it stands, BB10 uses ActiveSync for email, where legacy used BIS. With BIS as the interface, there was the ability for additional things, including the "Delete On..." setting. With BB10, that is not available. Now, the device and the server are intended to be mirror images of each other (within the timeframe of the max 30-day sync).

So, this is WAD -- Working As Designed (though I'm hopeful the BlackBerry has heard all of the cries and is looking into future modifications).

The workaround is to file messages into a separate folder so as to hide them from your device, but not delete them from your server. This, though, has an additional complication...when you file, the folder to which you file is automatically selected for sync and display to your BB, then displaying all unread items from this folder in your Messages list for that account. So, after each filing session, you must manually shut off that sync setting so those items are not shown on the device.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: Blackberry Z10 and Choice of deleting Email on phone or the phone and the server

Arghhh , Thank you, I was afraid that was the case

JD
Hall of Famer II

You are welcome. We are all hoping that things will continue to evolve and improve. As with all "early adopters", there are trade-offs to be made.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I just got my phone today and was getting frustrated that I couldn't figure this out. I will hope that BlackBerry address this in the future. Thanks for posting/ answering this. It makes me feel less of a fool, haha! Smiley Happy
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Tmobile

This is disappointing for me as it was a great feature of Blackberry devices. I guess I will adjust. The problem I'm having is I file an email into a folder on the server and it still stays in my device's inbox. If I delete it from the inbox, it is gone from the folder I put it in and also from the server...UGH.  What am I doing wrong?

Hall of Famer II

Strikeman wrote:

This is disappointing for me as it was a great feature of Blackberry devices. I guess I will adjust. The problem I'm having is I file an email into a folder on the server and it still stays in my device's inbox. If I delete it from the inbox, it is gone from the folder I put it in and also from the server...UGH.  What am I doing wrong?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

As has always been with BBs, it's not an "Inbox". Rather, it's a unified messages list, showing you many things depending on different parameters. Configured correctly, it can show you only items from your Inbox...but those configuration items are being automatically changed based on the action of filing.

In your case, when you file the item to a folder, the Z10 is automatically turning on synchronization for the destination folder, and then bringing to your Messages list the contents from that folder, intermingled with whatever else you already had showing in that list. So, when you then delete it from this unified messages list, your deleting it from whatever folder you filed it into...since this list is a conglomeration of items from potentially many places.

The thing to do is, after you have filed how ever many items you wanted to file, go into the Account options for this account and turn back OFF the sync of that folder. Then, your unified messages list will no longer show those items that you filed.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Tmobile

Thank you, thank you ! I still like the "old way" better but this works just as you said it would. I just won't be doing this each time I file emails...it is not meant for that I guess.
Hall of Famer II

You are welcome.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Carrier: attiaiscad those

[ Edited ]

It is lousy and the "work around" advice is a joke. I miss the old way period. Oh, i tried to get help and it caused me to put up a page. BLACKBERRYWORKS.COM