Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Bluetooth Connection Issues

Ever since the latest software update, I have had Bluetooth connection issues. I can receive calls through Bluetooth, however when I dial out, there is silence. I quickly have to switch to handset, and then back to Bluetooth, and then I get connection. I have tested this on 3 vehicles, as well as have tried dialing through the keypad on the car's interface. Because I can receive calls, and with the quick change from hand-set back to Bluetooth fixing the problem, it leads me to believe I have a faulty handset and/or there is a software issue.

Can anyone please advise

Thank you

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Bluetooth Connection Issues

I have been having this exact same issue. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen in my VW Golf Wagon.. The only car I have sync'd with this device. I don't have an answer but I am glad to hear I am not the only one.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9910 & Playbook
My Carrier: bell

I'm having a similar issue. Bluetooth connects  (headset and Uconnect) gives notifications but no ability to talk or hear caller. The Z10 screen does not show the headset icon as it once used to.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9910 & Playbook
My Carrier: bell

Problem solved. Found it ina previous post

Press the reset/power button and hold key for over 10 seconds.

New Contributor

I will try this today. Doesn't that just shut the phone off and reset it? I have shut my phone off a few times but I don't believe I held it for 10 seconds.. Thanks for posting. I will post later if this has fixed it. I haven't had an issue the last two days. But it comes and goes for me.
New Contributor
My Device: Supporting the boss's Z10

My pet user's reporting a similar issue with disconnects or 'dead Bluetooth air', but I have yet to observe it in person and he's not observant of the phone icons (especially, and understandably, while driving).  The hardware involved is not a car, though, just a Motorola H730 earpiece.

While it's probably a software issue - I've been on the receiving end and the callee gets silence, not road noise - where's the Bluetooth antenna physically on the phone?  This wasn't noticed in the first week of use, but then I added a PureGear case to the equation (holster type with kickstand) which has a big strip of metal running down the center of the back and I'm starting to wonder how simpatico that really is with the phone's RF layout (although general network performance is just fine).

Worth noting that the H730 is one of the few common Bluetooth headsets that physically fits an in-ear hearing aid user, so there's an accessibility angle in our case.  [No idea if it's telecoil friendly as his units don't have t-coils, but there's no 'earbud' so that model can slide on and off without having to remove the hearing aid.]

New Contributor

Well I have had no issues with the Blue tooth since the 10 second reboot. Not sure if this truly solved it or not as it comes and goes.. But so far It worked well over the weekend.  I will update again at the end of the week.

New Contributor

Hm, for what it's worth, we ran into this again today.  (Tangentially, an hour or so after I noticed the Z10 was unmuted but not giving notifications or LED on SMS - or possibly anything else; first reboot: no change oddly enough even after toggling to silent and back; then I sent it another SMS and it crashed back to the BB logo and rebooted of its own accord, after which it returned to bleeping and blinking properly.*)

Back on-topic with the Bluetooth issue:  He calls from the Z10 (dialing from handset) with the H730 connected and on his ear; I pick up and hear dead silence; he hears dead silence at the headset.  Apparently a reproducible bug since it's happening at least once a day.

Software load is whatever the current T-Mobile OS distribution is, can take all the version info down if anyone at BB is interested.  Still realllly wish I could be reporting this stuff via email for proper QA triage rather than via forum... this is full-disclosure to the world re: what's working and what isn't, but I'd rather be sure I'm getting the news to the people responsible for debugging it...

On the notification front, no apps installed that should twiddle with notifications, phone's basically still stock.  (Did install the port of "Scanner Radio" for Android from the BBW store, which likes to do notifications in the background if left running on Android, but I don't think it's been touched after numerous reboots... only possibly-contributing variable I can think of.)

* Turned up a Hub wart in the process:  Deleted all the test SMSes I sent to the boss's Z10 from my phone, and "I" still show up at the top of his Hub with the time of my last deleted message, while viewing the 'empty' entry for me at that time of course only shows whatever the last undeleted thing was from last week.  I guess this lets you know if someone's picked up your phone and deleted stuff but in the common case maybe the user was trying to get that entry off the top of the list?  A wishlist item for the Hub might be a "Bookmarked"/"Starred" tab so you can tick off entries from the firehose and then only view the short list of stuff you actually marked to remember to reply to.  (Maybe that's already there?  Some of the hieroglyphs in the context menu for an item - like the 'check box' hieroglyph that apparently leads to a 'send an email' hieroglyph? - are totally inscrutable to a non-BB-user?  Off-topic anyway...)

New Contributor

Clarification, since that read ambiguously: The "no audio on Bluetooth" bug resurfaced an hour after the reboots for the other issue.  So trying to say it didn't take much uptime to get in trouble.

Should also note that that headset has an on/off "flip" switch so there can be a relatively large amount of disconnect/reconnect events within that hour; also means the call could be being placed within seconds after the 'flip' is opened and the device re-pairs to the phone.

[Somewhat different than just walking around with an earbud constantly paired or pairing once with a car when you get in.]

New Contributor

So far since my full 10 second re-boot I have not had any issues with my Bluetooth connection. It seems to be working properly for me now.

But I only connect with my VW Golf Wagon. I haven't connected to my ear piece at all. Just through the car itself..