Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
drip
My Device: Z30

DocsToGo - OS10

The DocsToGo program that comes with the Z30 (which I love!) is supposed to be the Premium version. In fact it is so watered down as to be next to useless. The lack of a menu key on the Z30 means you cannot even insert a function in an Excel spreadsheet. What possible use is that? Please Blackberry fix this.

I'm a committed Blackberry platform fan and will be as long as you're around. But your apps remain your weakness. If you want to stay alive you have to address this issue.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: DocsToGo - OS10

Maybe you should make sure you're using it properly before trashing it.

I can insert a function in my spreadsheets. I open the spreadsheet. I hit the edit button at the bottom (looks like a pencil.) The spreadsheet switches from simple view mode to Docs to Go edit mode. I can then enter most anything I want. Hit the checkmark to save.

There are also options to Format fonts and format cells. If I hit the more icon I can add the formatting bar to the top, get file info, freeze panes, save, save as and share. Lots of options there.

It's a pretty powerful tool. You just need to know how to use it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
drip

ok thanks John. Point taken. Maybe I am expecting too much.

Sure I can type in a function the hard way. But I was at least expecting I could select cells with the cursor and they'd appear directly in the formula just like you can in the real Excel.

But perhaps you know how to do that too. The manual didn't help much.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Well, that's not what you said. You said "...with the lack of a menu key you can't even insert a function in an excel spreadsheet."

The feature you're talking about is an advanced function that is contained in MS Office Excel. The Docs to Go is not meant to be a full version of Microsoft Excel but is meant to be a powerful mobile version of those apps allowing you to make changes to a spreadsheet while mobile and save. I wouldn't recommend creating a complicated spreadsheet with it, though it is possible to do.

No, you can't type a function, then automatically have it select cells. You need to manually enter the function. If there is a way, I don't know it.

To be honest, I think apps are BB's strong points. Docs to Go is pretty powerful, though it may not be after Microsoft finally develops office for the iPad, but look how long that has taken.

Additionally, with the release of OS 10.2.1 I can load almost any Android app I want directly to the device. I now have all the same apps that my iPhone and Android friends have but, arguably, I have a much better device than either of those. With 10.2.1 BB10 is clearly a better platform even with any perceived deficiencies or bugs. It's a shame that most people don't even want to try it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
drip

I agree with the platform being great. But clearly my expectations of what is possible are too high. So be it. I'm sticking with my Z30 for sure. Thanks for your help.
Guru I
John_Clark

If you don't yet have the 10.2.1 update you get it by following my instructions here, as well as how to get the app for installing Android apps. Makes it a whole new device!

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-10-OS-Device-Software/Upgrading-BB10-OS-Using-Sach...
Contributor
Jenny-Vangu
My Device: BlackBerry z10

I totally agree with you so many people say that BlackBerry is a rubbish device but when they see me using my z10 in public they all want to try it