Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
cbarber
My Device: Z10

Emails with attachments won't send

Ok, I've only had this Z10 for 48 hours so obviously I might be missing something simple. It was simple enough to configure my regular email accounts into the phone - no, not gmail, just regular old pop/smtp/imap servers - and sending/receiving works fine without any attachments on the email. Add an attachment and the email won't sent, ending with a red circle in the hub instead of the usual checkmark.

Tried small attachments (40K), large attachments (1M), smtp, imap, multiple attachments, single attachment, connect on wifi, connect on cellular network. None of it works.

Anyone else have similar problems?

thanks

Chris

Please use plain text.
Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Emails with attachments won't send

Hey cbarber,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

What version of BlackBerry 10 are you running?  Go to Settings>About to find this information.  Also you stated the message shows a red circle when trying to send?  Is the icon more like a red clock?  Also do you get an error message after a few minutes?

Have you tried sending the attachments from a Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail account?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cbarber

Since I posted this, I have discovered that this appears to be affecting emails that have a sufficient length of text with no attachments. Same result. For example, I sent several emails each in reply to a previous reply, so that the total length of the email body grew with each reply (containing all the previous replies). after a few iterations of this I could no longer send an email as a reply to this thread.

When I deleted most of the text from the body of the email it would send ok. The total length that would not send could not have been more than a few K bytes.

The failure mode is that the phone starts to send the email, showing the sequence of the clock icon, then the antenna icon, but then finally ends in failure with the red circle (like a european stop sign) rather than the checkmark. There is no useful error message.

I do not have a gmail, hotmail, etc account to test with, but I have several other pop/smtp servers I can set up test accounts on and see if they do any differently.

Thanks

Chris

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cbarber

Now I've tested this with a different smtp server. In that case it works. I don't really know what the difference is. I use the not-working server constantly from Outlook, my former Blackberry, and an Android smart phone. Only the Z10 does not work with it.

How can I get useful diagnostic information out of the device when it fails to send an emai?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky
My Device: 9900

ViciousFerret,

Do you know what is the max attachment file size? Sometimes I get "Not Attached, File Too Large" when I try to attach something.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dinol
My Device: Not Specified

I have the same problem here i am on t mobile and I am running on 10.0.10.85

Very annoying issue for who use the phone for business.
Dino
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky
My Device: 9900

[ Edited ]

dinol wrote:
I have the same problem here i am on t mobile and I am running on 10.0.10.85

Very annoying issue for who use the phone for business.
Dino

I am running the same, and I have no problem sending "large" attachments.

I just attached a 1mb (1,157,632) file directly from my Dropbox (tap/share/email) and it downloaded and attached, and e-mail was sent and received fine. This was after trying a few other attachments in smaller sizes from dropbox.

Then I composed a new email and attached few pictures from on-board memory, each around 900kb , total around 3mb, and sent it from my activesync account to hotmail account, this worked fine as well.

I have not tested a lenghty e-mail, but I have not seen any problems so far.

Please use plain text.
PiperAtDawn
My Device: Blackberry z10

I also have a z10 with similar issue, i found that uploading stuff to Email Attachment did the trick

just send the link in your email

Please use plain text.