Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Help / FYI - MicroSD card the source of a constant battery drain in BB10

I'm not sure if this is a 'Z10' specific issue as I don't have a Q10 but I've been trying to track down the source of a constant battery drain on my Z10, in my case, it is having a microSD card inserted.

Some more info:

- Model: STL100-3

- OS version: 10.1.0.2354 (current version of OS but the constant battery drain has existed on all other versions I have tried).

- Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

- MicroSD card: Sandisk Ultra 64GB

Essentially, BatteryGuru has always shown a constant 0.4 watt drain on my Z10 which means my Z10, even if I am not using it at all, will at most last about 12 hours.

I narrowed it down to the microSD card after doing the following:

- eliminating the mobile network as the source by removing the SIM card and turning off mobile connections.

- eliminating EAS accounts as the source by removing all 4 of my email accounts on the phone

- deleting essentially all my apps (even with no third party apps installed except batteryguru and no customized accounts like Box, the 0.4 watt drain still persisted).

I then thought it might be the encryption setting but encryption is turned off on my phone (for the phone and the media card). 

I also thought it might be the amount of files I had on my SD card (20GB's of music, 10GB ov videos, 5 GB's of photos), but even with the card reformated and empty the 0.4 watt drain continues.

But if I remove the microSD card, the battery drain stops with BatteryGuru reading 0.0 watt drain (saying it will give me 112 hours on battery).  Even after re-adding my email accounts and leaving wifi on (but not the mobile network), my battery drain is still 0.0 watts.

Since I have always had a 0.4 watt drain on my Z10's (I'm on my fourth right now), I know it isn't unique to this phone and I've been on at least three different OS's so it's not unique to the OS.  The only constant I guess is that it has been a SanDisk 64GB card.

I'll have to see if I can buy/borrow another microSD card to see if it happens with another size capacity but hopefully this can be fixed in a future update??

Regards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BB-past: 9000>9700>9800>9780>9810>9900>Z10>Q5
My Device: Z10 STL100-2
My Carrier: T-Mobile Germany

Re: Help / FYI - MicroSD card the source of a constant battery drain in BB10

Hello

I have the same issue with the same card: a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB - also same measurements using Battery Guru. I changed to a 32GB Transcend Micro SDHC class 10 and the battery drain is much less but still existing. 

I checked the SD type number, found Transcend SD cards on the Transcend website especially recommended for mobile phones and ordered yesterday a 32GB and 64GB.

As I am on vacation I will not be able to test the cards for battery drain in near future but it is very interesting that I had the same issue with SanDisk SD on Blackbery Torch/OS7.

As far as I know these issues are caused by SD cards not entering certain idle modes when unused. 

Regards

Heinz

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Yes I had this happen to be when I first got my 64 sd card, two problems here could be bad sd card other thing is what I did is save whatever I had on here on my laptop,

I preform a "reformat" on Z10 after that my sd card has been healthy ever since and I get full day with my z10 10-12 hours!

Good luck!

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Regular Contributor

HWerner wrote:

Hello

I have the same issue with the same card: a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB - also same measurements using Battery Guru. I changed to a 32GB Transcend Micro SDHC class 10 and the battery drain is much less but still existing. 

I checked the SD type number, found Transcend SD cards on the Transcend website especially recommended for mobile phones and ordered yesterday a 32GB and 64GB.

As I am on vacation I will not be able to test the cards for battery drain in near future but it is very interesting that I had the same issue with SanDisk SD on Blackbery Torch/OS7.

As far as I know these issues are caused by SD cards not entering certain idle modes when unused. 

Regards

Heinz

Interesting about the cards not entering idle mode.  I'm trying to find another card to try.  The SanDisk Ultra 64GB is technically for mobile phones but if it doesn't work right, well... it doesn't work right.

This has been posted on CrackBerry to and it seems others have had the same problem though a couple of people pointed out they have not had that problem (one of those stated he was using a Q10 though and not the Z10).

Regular Contributor

RobGambino wrote:
Yes I had this happen to be when I first got my 64 sd card, two problems here could be bad sd card other thing is what I did is save whatever I had on here on my laptop,

I preform a "reformat" on Z10 after that my sd card has been healthy ever since and I get full day with my z10 10-12 hours!

Good luck!

What is your battery usage while idle though with the card?  10-12 hours is what I'll get with the constant 0.4 watt drain with the card on idle and I'll get days on idle without it.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

We yes my card is in my Z10 all the time! I use my Z10 alot during the day! but even when I don't use my Z10 the SD Card does not drain my battery at all!

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!