Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Eachie
My Device: Z10; Q10; Bold 9900
My Carrier: Verizon; ATT

Re: How To OTA Sync BB10 and non-BES Outlook (Details)

I went to the Outlook.com website and was able to log-in using my MSN acct.  SO, I should be okay!! 

RIGHT?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Yup.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Eachie

Ok.  It is almost 2 a.m. and I finished my setting up my Outlook 2010.  I imported my saved calendar and contacts into the Outlook Data file.  I set the sync to 5 minutes and I have wiped my Z10.

After turning on my Z10, I have NOT synced anything thru the Blackberry Link.  I have not even signed in to my BB account yet  The only thing I've done is set up my WiFi, my Device Settings and the software update.  

When I add my MSN mail account, it will ask me if I want to sync contacts, calendar, tasks, memos and if I want to use VPN (I don't know what that is).  WHAT SHOULD MY SETTINGS BE HERE.

Under "Advanced", I'll put the "Push" on off and set the sync interval at 15 minutes.  When I go back to "Accounts" on the Z10 - where is says "Set Defaults" - The ONLY email address for sending mail should be my MSN account - right?  For Calendar, it will only say "Device-Local" - right?  These setting are correct - right?

At what point do I sign into my BB account ID (on the Z10) so I can utilize the BB Protect?  If I sign into my BB ID account, will it automatically restore my previous data that I backed up?  THAT data is the WRONG data - that's why I wiped it.  and 

Finally, how do I TELL my Z10 to sync with my Outlook 2010 on my computer so I can get my contacts and calendar back onto my Z10?  When do I use the Blackberry Link to access my music, pictures, video and documents?

Again, I thank you SO MUCH.  I tried calling Verizon tech support for the BB Z10 and they told me NOT to use Outlook to sync my calendar and contacts.  They told me just to use my Gmail account  When I told them it won't sync my calendar and contacts after the initial import from the Blackberry Link, they said I shouldn't be using the Outlook 2010 anymore!!!???

Anyway, I'll wait for your instructions and hopefully I won't have to repeat this process again.

:smileywink:

Good night!!

Adele

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Good morning...it seems like you made some good progress...

Eachie wrote:

Ok.  It is almost 2 a.m. and I finished my setting up my Outlook 2010.  I imported my saved calendar and contacts into the Outlook Data file.  I set the sync to 5 minutes and I have wiped my Z10.

Excellent. This sets up your Outlook client to be your master data source. However, you've not mentioned anything about the required Hotmail connector (as the instructions include), which is required to enable synchronization between your Outlook client and the Outlook.com servers. You also didn't mention what you chose to do regarding your Outlook profile...in this thread, the discussion has to do with the method of creating a new Outlook profile so as to keep down the "clutter" inside of Outlook as well as automate the saving of calendar/contact items in Outlook to the proper container so that they automatically synchronize to Outlook.com (via the Hotmail connector).

Eachie wrote:

After turning on my Z10, I have NOT synced anything thru the Blackberry Link.  I have not even signed in to my BB account yet  The only thing I've done is set up my WiFi, my Device Settings and the software update.  

Before proceeding, you actually should log into your BB ID on the device. This is necessary to get it fully functioning. You need it fully functioning before you configure accounts onto it.

Eachie wrote:

When I add my MSN mail account, it will ask me if I want to sync contacts, calendar, tasks, memos and if I want to use VPN (I don't know what that is).  WHAT SHOULD MY SETTINGS BE HERE.

I've not seen that...email, calendar, and contacts are all that I've ever seen available for non-BES situations -- tasks and memos are reserved for BES situations. This does not make sense.

Eachie wrote:

Under "Advanced", I'll put the "Push" on off and set the sync interval at 15 minutes.  When I go back to "Accounts" on the Z10 - where is says "Set Defaults" - The ONLY email address for sending mail should be my MSN account - right?

You would have available all email accounts you have configured to the device...and this selection is to control which will be the one used as "from" whenever you create a new email on the device. If MSN is your primary email account, then you would select it. But, as in my case, I use GMail as my primary email...so I select GMail for this.

Eachie wrote:

For Calendar, it will only say "Device-Local" - right?  These setting are correct - right?

No. This should also have your MSN account...it is your MSN account (as used via Outlook.com) that is intended to be used as the conduit for calendar and contacts between your Z10 and the Outlook.com servers. Via the Hotmail connector, your Outlook client likewise will be synchronizing with Outlook.com. They both need to be synchronizing to Outlook.com in order for data to get through end-to-end (Outlook client through to Z10, via Outlook.com).

Eachie wrote:

At what point do I sign into my BB account ID (on the Z10) so I can utilize the BB Protect?  If I sign into my BB ID account, will it automatically restore my previous data that I backed up?  THAT data is the WRONG data - that's why I wiped it.

At the very beginning, before doing any of this. Unlike pre-BB10 devices, BB Protect does very little for BB10 devices...basically the only thing BB Protect does is provide GPS-based location services in the case of lost/stolen. Backup/restore via BB Protect for BB10 devices is not presently available. Likewise, pre-BB10 devices used BIS to store a lot of information that was brought to the device when, for example, one switched devices (use the same BB ID on the new device, and BIS moves over and brings configuration information with it)...this does not happen with BB10 as BB10 does not use BIS.

Eachie wrote:

Finally, how do I TELL my Z10 to sync with my Outlook 2010 on my computer so I can get my contacts and calendar back onto my Z10?

You don't. Your Z10 and Outlook 2010 will never communicate directly with each other. Rather, they each will communicate with Outlook.com, which will be the intermediary for synchronization of calendar and contact items.

Eachie wrote:

When do I use the Blackberry Link to access my music, pictures, video and documents?

After this is all finished and we have it working OTA for calendar and contacts via Outlook.com. Link is not involved in the calendar/contact synchronization process.

Eachie wrote:

I tried calling Verizon tech support for the BB Z10 and they told me NOT to use Outlook to sync my calendar and contacts.  They told me just to use my Gmail account  When I told them it won't sync my calendar and contacts after the initial import from the Blackberry Link, they said I shouldn't be using the Outlook 2010 anymore!!!???

BB10 is very new in the world, and there are many conflicting instructions. If one is not averse to using "the cloud" as the synchronization intermediary for calendar and contacts, then one can achieve true end-to-end sync between an Outlook client (any Outlook client, I think...I've got both 2007 and 2010 working) and their Z10, with Outlook.com being (based on my tests) the best result. It will take time for adequate training to flow out to everyone in the world so as to provide proper solutions.

Eachie wrote:

Anyway, I'll wait for your instructions and hopefully I won't have to repeat this process again.

I might suggest that, this time, you actually go through the process up in post 1 step by step...and perhaps be writing a reply to that post here as you proceed. That way, you can actually "quote" each step and report here the exact result you have of each step. Then maybe I can follow along better...it's a little disjointed receiving questions about something, but not being able to tell exactly where in the process you are.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Eachie

First of all, I want to thank you for all your help!  You are truly awesome and ANYONE with a problem should get YOUR help if they want it done properly.

I DID follow all your directions - the second time :smileysad: - and everything worked as you said it would.  I used the hotmail/outlook connection (MSN email acct works with it!) and imported my contacts and calendar.  I changed the sync on my PC to 5 min. and 15 min on my Z10.  I signed into my BB acct on my Z10 (I didn't the first time because I thought it would reinstall all my OLD sync info but it didn't) and it syncs perfectly now.  On my Z10, it wanted to know if I wanted to sync my Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes and if I wanted to use VPN (still don't know what that is).  

I said "On" to all except VPN.  The tasks and Notes do not sync (that's ok) but if I'm on my PC, and I click on the folders icon, it will show the folder for "Notes" (under the Hotmail Server - but NOT in the "default" "Notes" folder) with all the information in there - however, it will not sync.  The "Notes" information originated from my Gmail account anyway.  

When I received all my info for my contacts on my Z10, it brought everything except the pictures associated with the contact.  Since I haven't plugged my Z10 into my PC using the "Blackberry Link", I don't have ANY pictures on my Z10.  I suspect that when I transfer (by BB Link) my pics to my Z10, the "associated pictures" for my contacts will be updated to my Z10 contacts?  Anyway, I'm going to give that a try later tonight.  

NOW, when I add my Gmail account to my Z10, and my Z10 asks if I want to sync my Calendar, Notes, Contacts and tasks, which do I sync on my Z10?  In addition, do I also set the "Push" to "Off" for my Gmail account?  I have added all my other emails to my Hotmail/Outlook connection and they all work just fine.  However, as expected, any changes I make to my contacts and/or calendar will NOT be reflected on those files in my Gmail account - correct?  Since my primary email account is my Gmail account, will I have to manually make those changes and/or additions to my Gmail account contacts and calendar?  On my Z10, under "Defaults" I will put my Gmail acct as my default email address for outgoing mail but keep my MSN Calendar (MSN Active Sync) for my Calendar setting - right?

Since I'm accessing that great brain of yours, would I be able to sync my iPad using this same method so all three of my devices are synced (my PC, Z10 & iPad)?

Thank you for your patience and knowledge.  I would pay you if I knew where to send the money.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Eachie

One other thing - I got an email regarding my questions to you and they offered the following - however, I don't know what it is or how it may or may not work with my problems:

Re: Z10 not syncing all contacts
I am using Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.1483
No issues any more

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Eachie wrote:

First of all, I want to thank you for all your help!  You are truly awesome and ANYONE with a problem should get YOUR help if they want it done properly. 

You are very welcome indeed.

Eachie wrote:

I DID follow all your directions - the second time :smileysad: - and everything worked as you said it would.  I used the hotmail/outlook connection (MSN email acct works with it!) and imported my contacts and calendar.  I changed the sync on my PC to 5 min. and 15 min on my Z10.  I signed into my BB acct on my Z10 (I didn't the first time because I thought it would reinstall all my OLD sync info but it didn't) and it syncs perfectly now.  On my Z10, it wanted to know if I wanted to sync my Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes and if I wanted to use VPN (still don't know what that is). 

I'm still surprised that it offers you Notes...I look again at mine and Tasks is offered for "Sync", VPN  is simply "Use VPN", but Notes is not there at all. But it's probably no matter...perhaps there is more offered when it's MSN versus pure HotMail that mine is.

Eachie wrote:

I said "On" to all except VPN.  The tasks and Notes do not sync (that's ok) 

I'd suggest saying "Off" for VPN, Tasks, and Notes.

Eachie wrote:

The tasks and Notes do not sync (that's ok) but if I'm on my PC, and I click on the folders icon, it will show the folder for "Notes" (under the Hotmail Server - but NOT in the "default" "Notes" folder) with all the information in there - however, it will not sync.  The "Notes" information originated from my Gmail account anyway.  

OK...I suspect indeed that "Notes" in this case is indeed just a folder and not truly the formal Outlook "NOTES" capability.

Eachie wrote:

When I received all my info for my contacts on my Z10, it brought everything except the pictures associated with the contact. 

I've honestly never used those, so I don't know what to expect. What the Z10 will do is search your other accounts (Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn, etc.) that you integrate to the Z10 and attempt to find matches between people in your contact list and those accounts -- if it finds such, it will use those pictures. I don't know what will happen with pictures actually put into Outlook...I've never used that.

Eachie wrote:

Since I haven't plugged my Z10 into my PC using the "Blackberry Link", I don't have ANY pictures on my Z10.  I suspect that when I transfer (by BB Link) my pics to my Z10, the "associated pictures" for my contacts will be updated to my Z10 contacts?  Anyway, I'm going to give that a try later tonight. 

It might...I'm not sure. I actually would not expect that to happen...rather, I would have hoped that the pictures came through via the Hotmail connector. But perhaps not...in looking on-line at Outlook.com, I don't actually see a way to add a picture to a contact there. Have you checked there? Whatever is there is what is available for OTA synchronization.

Eachie wrote:

NOW, when I add my Gmail account to my Z10, and my Z10 asks if I want to sync my Calendar, Notes, Contacts and tasks, which do I sync on my Z10? 

Just email. The whole point here is to use Outlook.com as the interchange medium for your calendar and contacts so that you can keep things very consistent between your Outlook PC client, your Outlook.com, your Z10, and any other devices you want to integrate. The only time that might become problematic is if you want to use the GMail WebMail interface...for it will have no contact items at all. But as long as you use your Z10 and your Outlook client, you can use the Contact items they have stored. It does not matter that those contacts are provided via Outlook.com, each (Outlook and the Z10) will be able to use them even when working with GMail email.

Eachie wrote:

In addition, do I also set the "Push" to "Off" for my Gmail account? 

Well, that will depend on how you integrate GMail.

• If PUSH is offered, then you have set it up for either POP or IMAP (I recommend IMAP), in which case set it "ON"
  • If PUSH is not offered, then you are configured for EAS, which is even better (you might not get EAS...Google is changing things and taking that away)

Eachie wrote:

I have added all my other emails to my Hotmail/Outlook connection and they all work just fine.

I don't understand...you've configured Outlook.com to be a proxy for other email accounts you have? I never saw a need for that...and it introduces odd things to the recipient (e.g., "sent on behalf of", etc.). The Z10 as well as the Outlook client can handle multiple email accounts. Unless there is a reason to funnel everything through one account, I don't see a need to have Outlook.com do that. Indeed, I don't use Outlook.com for email at all...only for Contact/Calendar synchronization. But, your needs may be different.

Eachie wrote:

However, as expected, any changes I make to my contacts and/or calendar will NOT be reflected on those files in my Gmail account - correct? 

Correct. Calendar/Contacts function solely via Outlook.com, but reflect on both the Outlook client as well as on the Z10, and are fully usable on both devices for any email account integrated to each.

Eachie wrote:

Since my primary email account is my Gmail account, will I have to manually make those changes and/or additions to my Gmail account contacts and calendar?   

Only if you have a need to use any of the web interfaces to GMail. If you need to use Gmail WebMail, then it indeed will not contain your contacts. If you need to use the GMail web calendar, it will not contain your items. But, again, if you use only the Outlook PC client and your Z10, it will not matter that GMail does not have these things. Outlook and the Z10 do have them, and can use them just fine.

You need to think of Calendar and Contacts as just that now...universal for all your needs. No longer should you think of GMail contacts -- think only of Contacts as an overriding available database for any email account (as long as you use the Z10 our Outlook PC client for email). The fact that GMail has no contacts on it's server is no longer relevant...for when you create an email on your Z10, all of your universal contacts are available to you since the Z10 contains them. It doesn't matter that they came to the Z10 via Outlook.com...they are still available on the Z10 for use with any email account you integrate to your Z10.

Eachie wrote:

On my Z10, under "Defaults" I will put my Gmail acct as my default email address for outgoing mail but keep my MSN Calendar (MSN Active Sync) for my Calendar setting - right? 

Correct.

Eachie wrote:

Since I'm accessing that great brain of yours, would I be able to sync my iPad using this same method so all three of my devices are synced (my PC, Z10 & iPad)?

Yes, you should be able to. Using Outlook.com as the intermediary, I have now two instances of Outlook PC client, my Z10, and my PlayBook all synchronizing calendar and contacts between them just fine. Previously, I also had an Android smartphone in that mix with no problems at all. I see no reason that an iPad can't be included in the mix (though I don't have one, so can't say with 100% confidence since I don't know how it's account integrations work).

Eachie wrote:

Thank you for your patience and knowledge.  I would pay you if I knew where to send the money.  :smileyhappy: 

You are most very welcome! And thanks for the offer, but this is a volunteer thing we do here...folks like you make it all worthwhile to me!

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Eachie wrote:

One other thing - I got an email regarding my questions to you and they offered the following - however, I don't know what it is or how it may or may not work with my problems:

Re: Z10 not syncing all contacts
I am using Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.1483
No issues any more

Thank you.

I've no idea...it may have been a Private Message someone sent you here on the forums. There indeed are advances coming with updated OS levels, but until they are official, it's not much use worrying about them.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Eachie

Thank you - AGAIN - and I'm sorry for taking all your time away from others like myself.

I have a pretty good "visual" now about how this Hotmail/Outlook connection works and it is amazing.  One thing I'm still not clear on is your comment about adding my other email accounts.  I have Earthlink, Pacbell and Gmail mail accounts.  I ONLY need my MSN and Gmail account on my Z10 - so the fact that I have use of the same calendar and contacts is great - and since I have no need to have my Pacbell and Earthlink accounts on my Z10 is an added benefit.  However, I still need to access my Earthlink and Pacbell MAIL - NO NEED for calendar nor contacts - so I added them to my Hotmail/Outlook connection as a pop account and IMAP account, respectively.  I've also added my Gmail account on this Outlook account by IMAP so that when I go onto my PC, I can check ALL my mail at once without going to the respective sites to check my mail.  Is there a different - and perhaps better way - of doing this on my PC?  With my "other accounts" - typing lengthy correspondence is my norm - so using my PC as opposed to using my Z10 is preferable.  

Have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Eachie wrote:

Thank you - AGAIN - and I'm sorry for taking all your time away from others like myself. 

You are most welcome...you are actually a joy to work with. If you look around, you can find threads with folks in equal need, but who are not nearly as appreciative...indeed, some seem to think that we are paid to provide content here, and come with an expectation and even often a nasty attitude; it takes quite a lot of patience to continue to work with some of them. You, on the other hand, are thoughtful, appreciative, you listen well, you very much want to learn, and you provide responses that are useful so that we can continue. So give yourself some credit too...for you deserve it!

Eachie wrote:

One thing I'm still not clear on is your comment about adding my other email accounts.  I have Earthlink, Pacbell and Gmail mail accounts.  I ONLY need my MSN and Gmail account on my Z10 - so the fact that I have use of the same calendar and contacts is great - and since I have no need to have my Pacbell and Earthlink accounts on my Z10 is an added benefit.  However, I still need to access my Earthlink and Pacbell MAIL 

So this is where I am confused...note the two highlighted portions. Those two statements could be contradictory. You either do or don't need those email accounts on your BB. (I think the next section clears this up...)

But in either case, it's not really an issue -- you can integrate as many other email accounts you want to the Z10. Actually, I'm not sure if there is a limit...I currently have 10 for just email (nine GMail, one Yahoo), one with email and also with Contact/Calendar (Outlook.com), plus FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Evernote. I can use my single universal contact items on any of those 11 email accounts, from any device on which I have both Outlook.com and that email account integrated.

Eachie wrote:

so I added them to my Hotmail/Outlook connection as a pop account and IMAP account, respectively.  I've also added my Gmail account on this Outlook account by IMAP so that when I go onto my PC, I can check ALL my mail at once without going to the respective sites to check my mail. 

Actually, what I suspect you did was add these email accounts to your primary Outlook Profile, which just happens to use Hotmail/Outlook connector as the first account that was added to that profile. Technically, you've not done anything with these accounts regarding the actual Hotmail/Outlook Connector (that's what confused me...the wording made me think something that was not a correct assumption on my part). It's just that, in the process I recommended, adding Hotmail/Outlook Connector as the first account into the Outlook Profile is the best way to achieve the clean automation (e.g., create a contact or calendar item, and it's automatically stored into the HotMail Outlook container, so that it can be automatically synchronized with the server...the alternate method would require, after creating the item, copying it to the Hotmail connector container for synchronization). But the Outlook Profile itself is just that...a container that can house credentials and functionality for multiple different accounts for multiple different purposes.

Eachie wrote:

Is there a different - and perhaps better way - of doing this on my PC?  With my "other accounts" - typing lengthy correspondence is my norm - so using my PC as opposed to using my Z10 is preferable.   

So, what I surmise from all of this is that you still need access to those "other" accounts, but you just don't need mobile access to them. In which case what you've done is perfect. You can now access all of your email accounts via the full Outlook client, and you can also access your primary GMail account on your Z10. That's a perfect configuration. You can manage (send, receive, file, delete, etc.) your primary email account from either Outlook or your Z10, and you can also manage your other email accounts from Outlook since you don't need mobile access to them. That's perfect, IMHO!

But do keep in mind what I think you might have implied by what I highlighted in this quote...beyond the implication for those other accounts, if the implication there is also that you think you can only use your Z10 to manage your primary email account, then that's not the case. You can integrate that one into Outlook as well, and manage it from either Outlook or the Z10 (or other devices you may add into the mix also). It's not a "one choice" regarding the platform on which to manage an email account...you can integrate it to multiple platforms, and manage it on any of them -- since each of them will be synchronizing what you do to the server, that will reflect back to the other platforms on which you've integrated that email account. Just like Calendar/Contacts...one server, multiple other platforms from which to manage the data on the server, all synchronizing back to those other platforms every change you make on any one of them.

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.