Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
dwaynea
My Device: Q10 & PB 64GB
Accepted Solution

How does email work on my new Q10?

Hello BB10 gurus,

My experience with my new Q10 is now measured in days, not hours....  (1.25 days to be exact.)  :Yes:

Anyway, I am trying to get a handle on how this device handles my Telus email accounts.  I use two accounts - let's call them PERSONAL@telus.net and FAMILY@telus.net.  On my old Curve these email accounts were configured such that when a PERSONAL message was deleted it was also deleted from the server, however when a FAMILY message was deleted it remained on the server to be pulled off when the family PC was next turned on.  These settings for each account were setup at http://telus.blackberry.com.

Now, I'm not a network guru and admit to not knowing my IMAPs from my sockets so I don't really understand how the new BB10 is different from the Curve when it comes to handling these email accounts.  Can somebody explain it to me in short sentences?  Thank  you.

Next, why is there such a delay in sending from the Q10 using these accounts.  Sometimes an outbound message sits in the Hub with a little grey clock beside it for an hour, then without warning the clock becomes a check mark.  Is there a way to send immediately?  I sense that this is part of how BB10 deals differently with email accounts... if so I look forward to your replies.

Thank you in advance.

Dwayne A

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: How does email work on my new Q10?

hi,

here are the facts:

the Q10 uses the BlackBerry 10 OS.
the Curve uses another BlackBerry OS (OS7 or prior).

BB10 and OS7 are two entirely different operating systems. BB10 is not an upgrade from OS7.

for emails, OS7 manages that through BIS, that is linked to the email provider emails (in your case, @telus.net )

for emails, BlackBerry10 manages that through regular email, meaning IMAP protocol or POP protocol.

When you went to telus.blackberry.com you were configuring your BIS account, especially the ability to set "I want to delete an email on my Curve, but not on the server".

This option is not available on the Q10 currently (using IMAP or POP).

I wish the option was available, as well as many many people. I suggest you tell Telus you want the option available. Once several Telus clients do so, at some point Telus will tell BlackBerry about it, and we have a chance that BlackBerry decides to add it soon.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
dwaynea
My Device: Q10 & PB 64GB

Hello Guru Xandrex,

Thank you for your response.  You've put facts to what I have observed.  Further to your facts here's some other stuff I've learned...

1.  If I delete a message in either account it is deleted on the server.  Like it's gone even from the Trash folder on the server.

2.  When the family PC downloads messages from the FAMILY account and deletes them from the server they disappear from the BB Hub.

Does all this make sense - like is this the way it is supposed to work?  In actuallity I can live with this as long as I understand what's going on.

About my other question, why does it take so long for messages to be sent from the BB?  can you provide any help there?

Thanks again.

Dwayne A

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

for 1 yes, it is what I am talking about.

for 2, it simply means that you have activated the synchronization from server to Z10, for deleted emails.

yes, what you see is normal, with regards to how things work currently on the Q10.

About the time to send messages, I do not have enough information to answer.
you can send to yourself an email from the Q10, and then on your desktop email software, view the message. There will be somewhere an option to view the entire email, including the complicated email headers. Those headers contain valuable information, regarding all the path taken by your email to go from your Q10 to the different email servers and from the last email server to your desktop software.
If you manage to read it (basically there are several lines "received for xxx at this time", and looking at the date/time tags, you can see how long the email was parked on each server.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: