Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
26filip
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE
My Carrier: P4

Is it possible to auto merge contacts?

Yesterday my Z10 restarted himself (I don't know why...) and today I see, that all my contacts are unmerged - I see for example 4 times the same person, because of Gmail, Facebook, Twitter and SIM...

So is it possible to auto merge contacts?
All time online :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
jtv
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: 3 UK

Re: Is it possible to auto merge contacts?

26flip

Am looking help with this type of feature myself.

When I had my Torch 9800, I installed a duplicate cleaner from S4BB, what happen was, I lost a lot of contacts and I can't remember if it happened before (which it must of) I kept getting my phone filled with double, triple and quadruple or more of the same contacts appearing in my contact address folder and am getting the same now on my Z10; it's like microsoft shadow file, but the echo seems like it will go on and on.

I also found that I am losing contacts from my contacts book on the phone and it was just yesterday I went to my sim contacts and found that  just had my two hand fingers of contacts.

1, How do we stop this happening (address book echoing contacts)

2, Move contacts to sim and save them.

jtv

JTValerie
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ryan_robinson
My Device: Z10 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

There's an app called Contact X which will help. There are some bugs reported by some users (myself included) which are causing them to double or triple up in various ways again within a day or two afterward, but Contact X will at least do some first-time cleaning to eliminate most of them.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
jtv

Hi ryan_robinson

You may have to direct me where to start with contact x
I have had it a few months now and it just looks like I have added more of the same.
The past three weeks I have been sorting my contacts manulley, am at C this moment and plan to continue to the end.
JTValerie
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ryan_robinson

Here's the BlackBerry World link: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25909873/

It has export, import, merge (by name or by phone number), and delete all contacts features. Do a backup before doing the merge, but I didn't have any problems with it.

It won't solve the more serious bug of contacts continually duplicating/unlinking. It will combine a lot but then the doubles come back, and it will still miss others. Still, even a partial solution is worth $1.99.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
jtv

Dear ryan_robinson

I went through every one of my contacts last weekend, took me three days.

Which do I use first, and in what order, as I was thinking that I should import then merge and I would want to do this by name. :Detective:

JTValerie
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ryan_robinson

Which you want to use and in which order depends on what you need to get accomplished. Here's some of the use cases for it I've come across so far:

Before you do anything else, do a backup/export. I didn't have any problems but just in case you should take advantage of it. The worst case if something else happens that shouldn't is that you just import the backup file you create again to return to where you started.

Import works to bring in contacts from outside sources like Outlook. If your contacts are all already coming in from the Accounts, this is useless to you other than if you need to restore from the backup.

If you're having doubles reappearing as is a common bug, or if you just haven't gone through the manual linking yet (as it sounds like you have), the Merge function will clear some of that up. Until the doubling happens again that is, but it definitely makes life easier for that period of time in between. If you're not having that bug, you may not need this, but this was the only reason I bought Contact X.

Delete All could be useful if you really think that starting fresh may just be easier than trying to sort through them all. I did this at one point because I had a lot of leftover contacts from an old Gmail that didn't delete when the account did. Then I just resynced the accounts that I did want to keep getting contacts from. It was a lot easier than deleting them one by one or merging them all one by one.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
jtv

Yes, I did a manual clean-up and I thought, seeing I had already bought Contact X, I may use this also as a back-up if I am not near my PC at any time.

My phone is never turned off and I have two of, in my opinon; most used email accounts; Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, facebook and Skype on the www.

I am hoping that Contact X could be that HomeAway Back-Up I'd need.

I also have the app Intouch, which is brilliant for seeing your contacts with the bigger screen of ya PC/MAC because you can create your account online.

You mentioned about the duplicating bug, which I can only say is a fact.

I had the BB Torch 9800, and had the same problem.

Would you say this is a BB Bug or a SIM Card.

I would like to say I have had no duplicates since my manual clean up:Angel: So Far :Sweatdrop:

JTValerie
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ryan_robinson

My duplications aren't happening to the SIM card as some are. Mine is actually taking contacts from my primary personal account (an Office 365) to my work account (an older Exchange). Sometimes it keeps the doubles linked, which means on a practical level it isn't a big deal, but other times they detach themselves and then I am stuck with two different listings for the same person. So it is definitely a BB bug. 

About a week ago I wiped my device clean and upgraded to the newest (at the time) leaked OS. I don't recommend ever using a leaked OS but I decided it was worth trying. Instead of taking one day for the duplicates to reappear it took almost a week, but it is still there.

Please use plain text.