Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Dale65
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 STL100-3

Issues with the way contacts are displayed

I, like many others were dismayed to find out that I could not sync my new Z10 with MS Outlook to transfer my contacts. Intouchapp solved that problem using my old Bold but the problem I am having is in the way the contacts are displayed. I have over 1500 contacts on my phone and most of them have fax numbers. I know that fax is probably going the way of the telex machine but at the moment it is still used as a way of communicating in the business world. So for an individual business contact there are probably at least 4 phone numbers, office, direct number, fax and mobile. When looking up a contact all these numbers are presented as unidentified phone numbers as well as text numbers! If one looks at the edit screen the phone numbers are identified as work, mobile but there is no fax field so it shows up as a work number.

Am I missing something here or is the contact software in need of a major overhaul?

I do not know why RIM did not have the foresight to realize that people would want to transfer contacts from old BlackBerrys or even sync up with their computer. This aspect is the most disappointing feature of the new Z10.

Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb

Re: Issues with the way contacts are displayed

I am a real estate broker and I have 1200 contacts and when I transferred the contacts from my old BB Torch to z10, the transfer was successful and all my contact fax numbers are listed as fax. BB has announced that they are going to have USB Outlook sync in the future release of BB link. I am eagerly waiting just like you, it is important part of my business and online cloud sync is not an option for me. I currently email my contacts from my desktop to my z10 as a .vcard and update any new contacts.. Same with the calendar. You can also save it on your sd card. A temp solution until the feature is available. or use outlook.com or other cloud service. 

To add a fax to your contact, open the contact in edit mode, click on add field and select fax.. You also have a choice to set fax work, home , direct or other.

IMG_00000110.png

IMG_00000111.png

New Contributor
Dale65
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 STL100-3

Re: Issues with the way contacts are displayed

Thanks Arsen, I think most of my problems are related to the fact the Bold 9700 uses OS 6 and the Torch is OS 7. Using Outlook.com is not a solution for me as not being a big user of free Hotmail they limit the number of contacts you can have and mine stopped tranferring from MS Outlook at 700. The Intouch app worked easily taking the contacts from the Bold directly via Wifi to the Intouchapp site and then down from the site to my phone but it is not populating the fields properly, they are still working on this app and may have the problem solved before BB update the OS10 so that we can sync directly with a PC. Intouchapp works for contacts but not for the Calendar.

I will try the vcard and calendar as you suggested. Thanks again for your feedback.