Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Post your questions about #BlackBerry10 here!

Tunji072 wrote:
How can I group my phone book contacts, and how can I send text message to them without needing to start selecting the contacts one after the other?

Currently on the Z10, you cannot create contacts groups, and you cannot create SMS-lists either.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
Xandrex

Tunji072 wrote:
Why is it more expensive to subscribe to Bb services on BB10 than other BlackBerry phones?
When are we expecting WhatsApp,Viber, Skype, Opera, Netqin.... Etc?

with the Z10, there is no more BB services subscription required. So it is cheaper with the Z10 than with other phones.

About the apps you have mentionned:

• WhatsApp was released a few weeks ago.
  • Viber and Skype are currently under testing by Viber and Microsoft, I am not aware of any estimated release date.
  • Opera has no plan on releasing the Opera Browser for the Z10. My personal feeling is that apart from the cloud system for the Opera Bookmarks, I prefer the Z10 browser.
  • Netqin is not required on the Z10 as far as I know, because the security it brings to a device is lower than the security already available on the Z10.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
Xandrex

drewson wrote:

I know that BlackBerry is the one of the more secure platforms there are, but how secure?  When I am browsing the internet or recieving emails, who else can see this information?  Am I protected from my own carrier, government, or other governments while traveling?

hello,

your questions are legitimate, and I think that they show a misconception about what security is.

Let's try and make things split for each security feature.

how to protect your browsing.

This is about creating a secure tunnel between your phone, and the website. This is easily achieved by the webmaster, when they create an HTTPS version of the website. Basically when you use an HTTPS website, you create a tunnel thanks to SSL technology (X.509 certificates). As far as I know, all worldwide brands offer the same amount of security for those tunnels (Apple, LG, Samsung, HTC, Asus, BlackBerry, Motorola, Nokia).

That being said, some brands accept a degradation of the tunnel security, which means that the SSL tunnel is solid between your carrier and the website, but not between your phone and the carrier. In that case, the carrier can monitor your data usage and content, and can technically report to the government.

BlackBerry is not such a brand, and cannot accept the degradation of the tunnel security.

A further degradation can occur if you use a Wi-Fi Hotspot, in which case the owner of the Hotspot can do the same as the carrier above.

Besides, the quality of the security key can also break the specific security tunnel between your phone and the Wi-Fi antenna (for example a WEP key can be cracked by a 12year-old kid in less than 5 minutes, whereas a WPA2 key wold take several days for the FBI)

so for example, if you go to Pakistan, use a WEP key hotspot in a coffee shop, and browse to your bank website, using an Acer phone, the coffee shop owner may get information, as well as the Pakistan government, and as well as a pirate sitting next to you.

about emails.

Internet is very vast. You have P2P, FTP, HTTP, IMAP, POP, SMTP and so on. Those protocols are opened (which means that any pirate with the correct tool can read live what you are doing).

for emails, the protocols for the Z10 are SMTP (to send email), IMAP and POP. Depending on your email provider, those protocols will be encapsulated in a security tunnel (the same SSL tunnel as for browsing), in which case the emails are protected between the email server and your phone.

Check with your email provider what are the ports used, and check if they are the same as below:

465 for secure SMTP

585 and 993 for secure IMAP

995 for secure POP

about other security issues

there are many other security issues. for instance :

• remote access to the content of your phone, through the distant network (ie. a pirate in China)
  • remote access to the content of your phone, requiring physical proximity (ie. a pirate near you in the bus)
  • remote access to the content of your phone, requiring physical contact (ie. a pirate that physically connects something to your phone, or that can defeat the password protection)
  • remote access to the content of your phone, requiring physical destruction (ie. open the device and force information out, like what forensics & police & FBI can use)

Those issues are the ones covered by what is called the BlackBerry security.

For instance, there is a very easy hack that is available on YouTube, that shows how to override the password protection for the Samsung Galaxy S3, just by touching the screen at the right place at the right time, it takes less than 20 seconds after a bit of practice. It is an Android exploit, meaning that Google will certainly fix this in a few weeks, but those kind of issues have never been reported for BlackBerry (either OS5 / OS6 / OS7 or for the PlayBook or for BlackBerry 10).

BlackBerry security is not always liked by consumers.

• For example if you use a password to protect your phone, and forget the password, the content of the phone gets wiped.
  • Another example is that the Z10 refuses to connect to a Wi-Fi network that is not secure enough.
  • I'll give a last example, the Z10 will refuse in some cases to display Facebook images that are using the wrong SSL certificate (just like TSA would refuse you to show them a real password but not yours).

Ecneralc64
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

My Z10 thus far:
1) no data unless I connect to wifi. I will go see if my services provider can help.
2) my none Gmail account cannot be added. I hope for good advice here. It's a pop account.
3) I can find no sling player solution. I hope the dish network owners will relent.
4) the android emulation is quite good but extremely difficult to figure out. Especially the app manager aspect.
5) I cannot restore my lagunex dominoes from an earlier bberry.
6) the battery endurance is not much to speak of.

Otherwise, I love the phone and fully endorse it.
cv1
cv1
My Device: Q10

How do I deactivate bluetooth if I am getting out of car and want to continue conversation on handset? On bold I would push menu then "activate handset".

JohnPap
My Device: Z10

Hi, I was wondering where I can find HD Blackberry Wallpapers for my Z10. The only one interesting I was able to find so far was myblackberrywallpaper but I also want more blackberry logos! Thank you! 

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I like these:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/Someone-requested-wooden-bookshelf-Here-u-go/m...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!