Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
scarcity44
My Device: Tour 9630

Q10 APN EDIT; Canada Carrier; Is there a carrier who will NOT grey it out and permit APN editing for US data?

Hopefully the subject says it all...

Have read about 10.0 where APN editing not allowed.

Have read about 10.1 where APN editing is allowed, but carrier dependent.

Have spoken with BELL and TELUS....both their tech people do NOT know if the 10.1 Q10 will or will not be greyed out (although both offered me to provide a credit for the phone if I found out that it was indeed GREYed out).

Questions:

1. Does anyone know yet if, for the q10, BELL, ROGERS, TELUS will permit the APN to be editable so that I can use data with ROAM when I am in USA?
  2. Is it completely dependent on the SIM card...i.e. even if I purchase an unlocked device from Europe and hook up with a Candian carrier, is it correct that this will NOT solve the issue at all ?

Thanks everyone,

Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Q10 APN EDIT; Canada Carrier; Is there a carrier who will NOT grey it out and permit APN editing for US data?

Hey scarcity44,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

The APN settings are controlled by the SIM card, if you place in an american SIM card when travelling the APN settings will automatically change.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
scarcity44

Re: Q10 APN EDIT; Canada Carrier; Is there a carrier who will NOT grey it out and permit APN editing for US data?

Thanks Vicious Ferret however the carrier (in this case Bell) is telling us, I believe, differently.  Here is there response to my question...

"After a lot of research and speaking with different departments within Bell Mobility, I have a definite answer to your question about the Blackberry Q10.  In regards to the editability of the APN’s on the Q10, with a Bell-purchased BlackberryQ10, this will not be possible unless the device has been unlocked by Bell.

<<Scarcity - have read online that even when unlocked, it does not necessarily wipe out the code which greys out the APN settings....although the unlocking may have been done by a non-carrier third party  >>

If you have purchased the device from the manufacturer itself, it will come factory-unlocked, meaning you could absolutely put any sim card from any carrier into the device and edit those apn’s. If you have purchased the device from another carrier that you know allows you to edit those Apn’s you can do the same also.

<<Scarcity - (1) is Blackberry selling these direct...don't think so.  (2)  Bell and Telus are locked...have not tried any others (a lot of time it takes :smileyhappy:) >>

It is Bell’s policy that a Bell purchased device of any kind is automatically locked to Bell, and in order to edit or change the APN’s and use another carrier sim card, the device would have to be unlocked.

<<Scarcity - have read online that even when unlocked, it does not necessarily wipe out the code which greys out the APN settings....although the unlocking may have been done by a non-carrier third party (possibly crackberry) >>

Unlocking a device from Bell costs $75, and the device must be active on a Bell Mobility account for at least 90 days before the unlocking can occur.   Hopefully this information will help you in your quest for the right Q10 to suit your needs.  Thank you and good luck!!"

<<Scarcity - kudos to this Bell rep who actually took the time to get back to me>>

So my questions are still/now....

1. Vicious - does BELL know what they are talking about?  How sure are you in your main answer above based on what Bell has written above, as well as checking out ROAM MOBILITY's website regarding this issue.
  2. If Bell (or a carrier) does unlock the phone, I am actually concerned they do not know what they are talking about and the APN settings will still be uneditable - thoughts?.
  3. Does anyone have a Q10 from a Canadian provider and a positive successful unlock from a third party that the APN became editable?
  4. Is anyone aware of a carrier in Europe whom does NOT LOCK the APN as I will possibly just try to buy the unit from them?
New Contributor
scarcity44

And more from Bell :

".....found out from Blackberry (over the phone) and also from the Blackberry support forums online regarding your last question about the APN’s.   According to Blackberry, the APN settings in the Q10 are controlled by the SIM card; so if you place in an American SIM card when travelling, as long as the device has been properly unlocked the APN settings will automatically change to reflect the carrier of the new SIM.   So, the APN settings may still show as grayed out on the device, but they should be auto-updated under the control of the inserted SIM card."

So, the APN is not actually editable.  And worse, the real nitty gritty is that the carrier has to be a specific major carrier.....not a supposed smaller company like ROAM.

That's it, keyboard or not, I'm going iPhone/Droid.  Thanks BB.  It's been a great 7 years.

Regular Contributor
kmascoll
My Device: bbz10

I understood that the data works the same way. I've already travelled to the US and Caribbean with my unlocked z10 and had no reason to edit the APN.

If an Android can work with a smaller company why can't the z10?

In the Caribbean I activated the data plan for the galaxy 3, put the sim in my z10 and it worked fine. Digicel was the carrier.