Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Bigpoint
My Device: Blackeberry Z10 & Playbook

Ringtone Gone

I had several ringtones downloaded to my Curve 8530 one of which I had set to announce incoming phone calls. When I received my new Z10 last week I synced the new device to the old one using Blackberry Link.  I can not find that Ringtone anywhere on my Z10 now.  Should it be there and I can't find it or is it gone?

Trusted Contributor
Adam8
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Ringtone Gone

Hello Bigpoint,

The ringtone should still be on the old BlackBerry device if you have not yet removed it. Can you please indicate if the ringtone was a native ringtone that came on the 8530 5.0 device. If the ringtone is native, it cannot be transferred.

However the ringtones that where download should show under the "music" folder in a "ringtones" subfolder because this is where BlackBerry Link puts them on the z10 device during the transfer (on device memory not sdcard).

To find the ringtones open the Setting application and select Notifcations. Make sure the correct notification "Mode" is selected (for example normal) and then select the applcation you wish to create the notification for (Phone or Messages) under Notifications/Alerts.

Once you have selected Phone for example you will see "Tone". Select Tone and then select Browse Music. Please insure "Device" is selecting in the bottom left corner. Select the music folder then the ringtones subfolder and the corresponding ringtone tranferred from your 8530.

*Workaround if you do not see the ringtones folder under music:

If ringtones where downloaded to the BlackBerry 8530 device and are not native I would attempt to find the ringtone file on the 8530 device using Mass Storeage Mode (basically use Windows explorer to navigate the 8530 memory or "file system" like a USB Drive). Navigate to the "ringtones folder" and copy the ringtones from the folder to your computer.

Next connect your Z10 to the computer. Doing the same with Windows Explorer navigate within the z10's file system and create a subfolder called "ringtones" if one doesn't already exsist. Paste the ringtones you have moved to your computer from the 8530 to the ringtone folder on the z10. Once the file transfer is compete open the z10 setting application, select notifcations. Make sure the correct notification "Mode" is selected (for example normal) and then select the applcation you wish to create the notification for (Phone or Messages) under Notifications/Alerts.

Once you have selected Phone for example you will see "Tone". Select Tone and then select Browse Music. You will note the same sub folders will be displayed. Select the ringtones folder and the corresponding ringtone you copied from your computer.

If this helps please like $$

Contributor
Bigpoint
My Device: Blackeberry Z10 & Playbook

Re: Ringtone Gone

Adam thanks so much for a very detailed answer but no joy - on two counts. After I transferred everything from the 8530 to the Z10 I did a wipe on the old device (note to self don't be so quick to act) so the ringtone is gone from there and it was a download. Secondly my music file on the Z10 is empty. Not sure why but it is. So I will have to go and hunt this ringtone up again and try to download it to the new device.

thanks again,

Pat