Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
john1977
My Device: Q10
Accepted Solution

Story Maker Copyright Question

Hello,

I wish to post a video (commercial for my book) I put together using Story Maker onto YouTube. I have made two commercials already, but I recorded my own music for those older ones. For my new video, I wish to use one of the sample tracks provided on the Story Maker app. I could not find any copyright information about those songs, so I am wondering if I will run into any issues if I post the video as it is. If I need permission to use the music, from whom do I need to obtain that permission, and how may I contact them? Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Story Maker Copyright Question

I'm going out on a limb with a guess, but if BlackBerry has supplied music with its app and you're able to just throw the song in to any video you record, it can be assumed that the music is public domain. BlackBerry would not include any music for which you didn't have full permissions to share.

Just a guess but a pretty good one, I would think.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
john1977

Thank you. This is the assumption I've been operating under all along, but I wanted more opinions. I will wait a little longer before I post my video onto YouTube, just in case anybody brings up a good, contradictory point. If a problem arises after I upload the video, I suppose I can always re-edit and re-upload the video with different music. Have a good evening!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bittern
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Hi..I recently uploaded and published a video to youtube, using one of the sample songs within the app as the soundtrack. Youtube published the video but the upload confirmation message advised song had been matched to 3rd party content , which indicated there might be a copyright issue. I found this alarming and had assumed the sample music was in the public domain and safe to use. I checked the instructional video on the Blackberry website which gives no warning about the use of this material. I feel there must be something wrong here and have entered into a dispute with you tube on the basis that I considered the music free and available to embed in a video. I'd be grateful for any information or experiences, especially in the light of previous comments.  john

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

Finding documentation to support my above-mentioned comment is not easy; there appears to be nothing around on the internet.

I know YouTube might be requiring proof but all I can say (again) is that BlackBerry would not supply a music bed that was protected by copyright. It would have done its due diligence and secured the rights to distribute the songs on its phones.

I'm sure not how easy it would be to convince YouTube of that but if you could show them you used StoryMaker to produce the videos, they could perhaps research what the app is all about and be content with what they find.

I understand your position of wanting to make sure everything is on the up-and-up. Perhaps another member who knows better than I will step in to offer suggestions. 

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bittern

Thanks.. that helps me keep it in perspective. My dispute is hinged on the fact that I created the video within story maker. I'm hoping it's a matter of Youtube and the Author getting their act together. In the mean time , I'll keep Calm and Carry On  ! Cheers

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
john1977

Hello,

Since I posted my first enquiry in this community forum, I uploaded 4 more videos I made using the Story Maker app onto YouTube, 2 of which used Story Maker sample tracks. I had no problems publishing them, nor have I had any complaints or conflicts arise from their use. So, my hope is that the problem you are experiencing is just an anomaly that will quickly get resolved in your favor. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bittern

Thanks, Thats also reassuring. I've uploaded 2 videos to youtube and actually had the same issue with both of them. The first one I changed the music track to one from a different free source and thats O.K. but Its the second one thats in dispute. Until it's resolved they're blocking any edits which is a shame. I'll keep you posted

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

Yes, please do. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bittern

:Rockon::Rockon:Hi..Youtube had advised me that they'd let me know the outcome of my challenge to the copyright issue by 16th of june. They haven't, but I notice the dashboard message that the track matched to third party content ' is in dispute' has disappeared. The track hasn't been removed by them so I can only assume all is o.k. Thanks for the support

Please use plain text.