Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: V10 - use WiFi for email when available

I still don't understand why the OP doesn't just save the email to be sent later when connected to Wifi.

That's not hard.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
astrauss
My Device: Z10

The SMTP.telus.net is painfully slow and 50% of the emails don't go (get the red stop symbol). Talked to telus and they indicated that port 587 and port 25 work as does mail.telus.net, however none of this fixed the problem.

As to why, it is because as a consultant I often have two or more customers. I work remotely through Citrix and when I am on a customer site remotely, I check and respond to all my other email via my smartphone. Usually I am waiting for questions or acceptance of deliverables and for some customers I act as a SME to answer questions or review/advise something. While not a showstoppper the ability to respond to customers quickly has been a great convenience (the Telus tech kept saying to me that the iphone could set up the two outgoing configurations so surely the BB could too). It wouldn't be an issue except I know it can work but I preferred to buy Canadian now that the Z10 had a virtual keyboard - the development of severe arthritis in my hands made selecting and pressing the small keys in previous BB models impossible but the virtual keyboard has bigger keys and just requires a light touch.

So the workaround will be to use two smartphones, the iphone when I am working remotely on WiFi so I can respond to other customers. Still it is something that could be considered for a future enhancement to the Z10 mail system.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
astrauss
My Device: Z10

See reply above but basically it is a customer service. My customers expect and appreciate that I can deal with their problems quickly. When I am working on a detailed analysis remotely, I do not want to log off, shut down the WiFi, send the message and then restart everyhting again.

Not sure what OP stands for in your reply - there are a number of possibilites...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Skegg
My Device: z10

It sounds like to me that the root of your problem is the Telus smtp connection. You mentioned that you have no problem connecting to your work email (exchange server), and your gmail works fine too when you are on wifi. If the Telus smtp server works as it should be, you would not have problem setting up one smtp server (telus smtp) on your Z10 for your Telus email account. You currently need to carry two phones because Telus smtp server does not perform as it should be. I also have mulitple accounts (gmail, outlook, exchange, imap) setup on my Z10. I do not need to use two smtp servers and I can freely switch between wifi and mobile connection without any problem.

astrauss wrote:

The SMTP.telus.net is painfully slow and 50% of the emails don't go (get the red stop symbol). Talked to telus and they indicated that port 587 and port 25 work as does mail.telus.net, however none of this fixed the problem.

As to why, it is because as a consultant I often have two or more customers. I work remotely through Citrix and when I am on a customer site remotely, I check and respond to all my other email via my smartphone. Usually I am waiting for questions or acceptance of deliverables and for some customers I act as a SME to answer questions or review/advise something. While not a showstoppper the ability to respond to customers quickly has been a great convenience (the Telus tech kept saying to me that the iphone could set up the two outgoing configurations so surely the BB could too). It wouldn't be an issue except I know it can work but I preferred to buy Canadian now that the Z10 had a virtual keyboard - the development of severe arthritis in my hands made selecting and pressing the small keys in previous BB models impossible but the virtual keyboard has bigger keys and just requires a light touch.

So the workaround will be to use two smartphones, the iphone when I am working remotely on WiFi so I can respond to other customers. Still it is something that could be considered for a future enhancement to the Z10 mail system.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

from my perspective the issue is quite easy.
you are a professional, but you use an email provider who is not an expert at email.

==> an easy solution is to simply change your email provider for one that delivers a good SMTP/IMAP service.
I am at awe when I see people believing that their ISP can deliver a good email service.

It's like believing that your bank is the best entity to offer you a cloud service.

or that Burger King makes the best sushi in the city.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.