Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
jerybis
My Device: BB Bold 9900
My Carrier: Proximus Belgium
Accepted Solution

Will it be possible to force/change the APN blackberry.net to continue benefiting from my current BIS dataplan with BB10?

Hi,

Because of the roaming dataplan pricing scheme of our carrier in Belgium (Proximus), we would like to keep our BIS dataplan (APN Blackberry.net).

Roaming world 50 MB = 24 euros/month (you can reset the data volume with no fee)

Romaing Europe 30 MB = 12 euros/Month (you can reset the data volume with no fee)

Both roaming dataplan allow you to use any roaming carrier without having to select the specific carrier in partnership with our Belgian carrier (Proximus).

Because of Blackberry 10 doesn't request BIS dataplan (APN blackberry.net) any longer, devices Q10 and Z10 should get the regulat roaming dataplan offered with other devices (iPhone, Android, WP8...).

Which are :

Roaming world 200MB = 115 euros/month

Roaming europe 100 MB = 12 euros/month

Both roaming dataplan request the manual selection of the specific carrier in a partnership with our belgian carrier (Proximus)

There is no intermediate (smaller) dataplan pay per month.

So if you travel lets say in Morrocco, Brasil, Georgia, Kirghizstan, Senegal, Argentinia, Tunisia, Lebanon, Australia, Singapore etc ... with a Blackberry legacy OS you pay 24 euros / month and you have 50 MB (which you can reset for free by giving a free call to your customer service).

If you have Blackberry 10 device, you are supposed to pay 115 euros / month for be able to visit those countries.

Our question :

Would it be possible to keep our current BIS dataplan (using the APN blackberry.net) with a new Blackberry 10 device ?

It is often mentioned in forum that the APN field is greyed and not modifiable by user. the BB10 Device seem fetching the APN info from the SIM card. However some people are mentionning that this is only limited to North America and that for others, the device let you modify the APN.

My current carrier's customer service is totally uncapable to answer this technical question.

Can you ?

Cheers

Jeremie

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Will it be possible to force/change the APN blackberry.net to continue benefiting from my current BIS dataplan with BB10?

Jeremie,

• No, the new Blackberry10 devices do not use the traditional BIS network.
  • The APN settings are controlled by the mobile provider SIM you have in the device. Some lock that setting, some do not.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jerybis

Re: Will it be possible to force/change the APN blackberry.net to continue benefiting from my current BIS dataplan with BB10?

Thank you JSanders.

However your answer remains short and under developed to me.

Yes BBRY change its strategy and freed BB10 from BIS. Network. However, this doesn't mean that BB10 cannot use at all BIS if one wants to do it. 

For instance the carrier BELL is forcing her own clients to use BIS network. This is a proof that BB10 does have the ability to work properly under BIS network.

Therefore my question comes, is it possible to insert a micro SIM with a BIS dataplan And/or by modifying the APN when allowed by the carrier.

Thank you for your help

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

the BIS network is not available for BlackBerry 10 devices.
What is possible, is that carriers will force their user to continue paying for a BIS account, but changing the APN will just change the APN, not make the data be compressed and flow through the BIS infrastructure.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jerybis

Thanks Xandrex!

Yes i understand. And yes of course you are right and it is obvious, changing APN for changing for just changing it would not make difference but cut the internet connexion.
When i mentionned "changing/forcing" i meant of course while having still a BIS dataplan active with our current carrier. Without BIS dataplan it would be a none sense i totally agree with you.

Jeremie
Please use plain text.
JSanders

jerybis wrote:

Thank you JSanders.

However your answer remains short and under developed to me.

You're welcome. Regardless of your "opinion" of my answer, it remains correct.

I don't need to use 100 words where ten will suffice.

good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

@jsanders10 You lazy man!

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]

Xandrex wrote:
@jsanders10 You lazy man!

buahahahaauahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

is that over developed?

or would a simple "lol" have been ok?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jerybis

It's'getting funny...

Still, i would like to add a little explaination regarding my comment on your answer :
Both of your points were already mentioned in my answer and nothing new came out of it.
I would even say that saying "no, BB10 don't use the traditional BIS network" is a strong statement that could be misleading despite it might be the general truth.
BELL settings are the exact counter example and if i understand Xanderx properly, a carrier could eventually make an exception to a customer by selling him a BIS dataplan for its BB10.

I have now all information and i will contact my carrier to try and get this BIS network with a BB10 device.

Thank you both
Jeremie
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Good luck, Jeremie, and enjoy your BlackBerry!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.