Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: 8530
Accepted Solution

Z10 REBOOT AFTER BATTERY PULL QUESTION

I have an older Curve 8530. When I pull the battery or RESTART the unit after an app installation, it takes ~15 minutes for the unit to come back online.

Does the Z10 have the same limitation?

Regards.

Regards,
GPSIS
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Z10 REBOOT AFTER BATTERY PULL QUESTION

Hello,

In my experience, no. I think not more than 5 minutes, though I've never actually tried to time it. Of course, YMMV based on installed apps, stored data quantities, etc. (as has always been).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Sdgardne,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is dependent on the apps loaded, which is the primary issue (I use for business and have quite a few running). When using a time sensitive app such as GPS Nav, if the unit reboots 5 min can seem quite long...and as you know a watched pot never boils.

My Android user friends can pop their battery and in less than 90 seconds of reinserting it the unit is 100% ready to go! I love my 8530 but this 15 minute reboot situation is a deal breaker for me...(Aside from the fact the Z10 has no keypad).

If the long boot period still exist I do not think my next phone will be a BlackBerry.

Regards.
Regards,
GPSIS
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

The example you cite (rebooting during NAV) is outside of the parameters you began with...I interpreted what you started with to be a "normal" reboot situation where I consider this new scenario to be abnormal (e.g., sudden unexplained reboot). Consequently, they cannot IMHO be compared.

In my experience, all of the "older" BB models had rather long reboot periods. As things have progressed, it has improved with faster memory, faster processors, etc. But of course that is perhaps also degraded by a larger and more complex OS.

The reality of our free marketplace is that there is a plethora of choices. From my experience, the Z10 is the best BB ever...fastest in all regards, best keyboard, etc. etc. etc. But, each individual must make their choices based on their unique requirement set. If you want a Droid, then by all means feel free to get one. I can share that I recently came off of a Droid, having both it and my Z10 in parallel for almost 2 months...and in that time, I really came to hate the Droid.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Sangardne,

The Nav issue was just one example...didn't mean it to be considered the norm. The point I was attempting to make was ANY reason the unit reboots and takes 15 minutes to come back online is a problem. I have not personally had the luxury of using a Droid OS phone so my experience is from afar. Isn't it funny how the grass always seem greener in your neighbor's yard! I could be setting myself up for bigger problems then I'll be stuck for 2 years!

I hear that no code from previous BlackBerry OS was ported over so you're probably right about it being improved. Guess I just have to get one and try it out for myself.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Regards!
Regards,
GPSIS