Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
bnlandor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone (DE)

Z10 Wifi connection drops

Hi all,

When I'm able to connect to my WiFi at home, after 1-2 minutes, my connection goes stale (it's still displayed as active, but no traffic is coming through, and pings/traceroute etc. fail).

I'm using WPA2, and I've tried various setting on the router and Z10 (e.g. Dual Band, WPS setup, ...), and all combintations work fine until the connection just goes dead.

I suspect incompatible MTU settings or Jumbo Frames to be causing this (it's too good a fit with the symptoms), but ssem to be unable to adjust the respective settings. Anything else I can try (BTW, the logs on the phone and router don't give any more clues)?

Or: Is there a way to use a USB connection for downloading? Some apps are more than 50MB, so I can't download them via LTE , either.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bnlandor
My Carrier: Vodafone (DE)

Re: Z10 Wifi connection drops

Well. it's almost definititely MTU that's causing it.

I could reproduce the behavior from my Windows 7 box sending non-fragmentable pings of various sizes. There seem to be devices on the path that consider 1500 bytes oversized, and other devices that drop the resulting ICMP packages in a defense against a supposed DoS attack, subsequnetly causing the router to shut donw its connections.

The question is: Why does this happen only with blackberry devices in my home WLAN? Does anyone know how MTU path detection is impelemnted in BB10? My suspicion is that it either hasn't been implemented at all or a bit sloppy (the 1500 for a DSL PPPoE - where it should be 1492 at most) seems to point in that direction.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jitun
My Carrier: Airtel

Have the same issue.
Any update on this ?
A setting to change the MTU would have been great.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Problem_child
My Device: Z10 STL100-2
My Carrier: Out

Hi!

Just turn off WMM option in wireless section of Your router.

And I highly recommend to use manual reservation of IP adresses for all Your devices on DHCP section of router in parallel with linking IP with MACs on ARP section of router. The latter ones improve data intermittance speed.

Please use plain text.