Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10

Re: z10 OWA - HELP

Not sure.. 

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: O2 Ireland

This is a disaster for me -- our IT department is irrationally restrictive, actively wants to dissuade people from using owa on anything but a browser and won't use activesync. I bought a BB Q10 thinking it would be better, but in fact because some genius in what was then called RIM quietly changed the method or getting mail for BB10 I have in fact been downgraded! If I can't find an app, paid or not, soon, that gets my owa mail and gives it to me in a way I can use it I'm going to have to jettison the Q10 and go back to the damned iPhone.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Hello smacca,

if you have the information to connect an iPhone, then you can connect a Q10.

That said, I really do not understand the decision of your IT.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Ha -- you're right about our IT dept -- inexplicable!

No, that's the point: I can't get my work e-mail on my normal iPhone e-mail, I have to use a paid app, Mail+, to get my work e-mail, and that keeps it separate from my normal iPhone e-mail.

Now that BlackBerry has downgraded its software (!) and I can only get my work e-mail on a device using BB OS 7 or 6, I'll have to either find an owa app (like the iPhone one) for my Q10 or give back it back and use an older BlackBerry or the dreaded iPhone for work.

Just thinking...suppose I found someone I trusted who had access to Blackberry Internet Service online (the way I used to before I switched to a pre-paid BlackBerry), then I could set up an account on his or her BIS for my work account, and automatically forward everything to a Gmail account which my Q10 can access. Would that work?

New Contributor

To to correct my own post above -- no, in BIS online interface, there doesn't seem to be a way to automatically forward everything to another e-mail. Sigh... I'm going to have to go back to the old system...

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

if you have a BlackBerry with BIS, then on that BlackBerry there are email tools (= paid apps) that can automatically forward emails to another email address.
and then use your Q10 to connect to that email address using EAS, IMAP or POP.

before BlackBerry 10, ActiveSync was not available for BIS. So BlackBerry did create a connector between BIS and OWA. It was a huge workaround (which worked for you and you were happy with it).

With BlackBerry 10, ActiveSync is available. So the workaround is not required anymore.
If ever BlackBerry wanted to have the workaround, they would have, in addition to today's methods (EAS/IMAP/POP), have to create intentionally another method (IMAP over OWA). This woraround is not necessary except when you have IT that take strange decisions. I can understand you feel this as a downgrade, but it is the other way around.
The workaround disappears, and is replaced by the real tech (ActiveSync).

You have the following choices:

- convince the IT to activate ActiveSync (could be easy if you find high ranked people that have an iPhone and want their corporate emails on them, ie marketing chiefs). The activation will be available for all ActiveSync devices (Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows Phone).

- do not receive your work emails on your Q10 (after all you are not paid for that, and if your company is not able to provide you with the right tools, do they deserve your energy to struggle to get those tools ?)

- use OWA through the Q10 browser (I personally think this is an acceptable solution)

- find a tool for the Q10 that can access OWA in a more beautiful way than the browser

- on your Exchange server, create a rule to forward your incoming emails to a personal email address

- leave your Q10 and use another smartphone.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: