Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
Torres90
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
Accepted Solution

Can a dev receive trade up on other dev's behalf?

Hello there! May I ask if I can be the recipient for multiple unit of Blackberry limited edition on behalf of my friend?

Here's the background:

I'm from Malaysia, and I received a dev alpha and qualifies for the trade up, as well as my friend who is a coder.

However, due to the restriction of my country(perhaps other's the same as well) importing any communication goods such as iPhone or any other smartphone (in this case Blackberry Z) requires a permit which cost around RM100.

I've been able to clear my Dev Alpha device under the category of tablet(no permit required) after explaining to the custom Dev Alpha is more to a 'mini playbook' than an actual smartphone device.

But for the Blackberry Z, it will be a verified smartphone.

So instead of me and my friend going to apply permit individually, is that okay that I become the recipient of those smartphone, so that I can apply permit for both at the same time?

Click "like" if my reply helps and click "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem!

twitter @Twopinstudio
my vendor page https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/7126/?lang=en
Regular Contributor
goku_vegeta
My Device: BlackBerry Limited Edition Z10, BlackBerry Bold 9900, BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet

Re: Can a dev receive trade up on other dev's behalf?

As long as the shipping address is set to ONE address, I do not see this being a problem or RIM even giving it a second look. So long as both of you have gotten the qualification email, set the shipping address to your address, then both LE devices will ship to you and you can just hand him his, also they may not come on the exact same date. I think RIM is going to be pushing out them in batches, so basically they might say every week they get a few hundred units in, then they go through them all, confirm what LE is going out to which person, they early the second week they ship them out and the process repeats. Now obviously  I don't know this since I don't work for RIM, but it seems like with developers returning Dev Alphas at different times that this would be a nice method, not to mention it's quite simiple too.

New Developer
jerryeight
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B / BlackBerry PlayBook

yes i agree RIM shipping out the LE in batches would be a great idea so that the idea of being on top of your priorities would be encouraged
BB Rocks !
Developer
Torres90

No official answer from any of the RIM's representative, guess ill just have to go ahead claiming on behalf using my name. Hopefully it all works well!

Click "like" if my reply helps and click "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem!

twitter @Twopinstudio
Developer
kongee
My Device: 9780

Regarding this matter, not sure that if you are aware, we have RIM office in Malaysia as well as Singapore. I have read some threads here and Crackberry forum about the shipping instruction.

What i read was RIM will send an email with a shipping label (which you need to print out). All you need to do is to pack your dev alpha in a box and attach the recipient (RIM) address which is on the shipping label. Then drop it in UPS office. The shipping fee is borne by RIM so all we need to do just pass the package to UPS guy. For the next part is that you need to fill a form which requires your home/office address so that they could deliver LE to you.

Based on your post, i m worry as well since i m from Malaysia too. I have a proposal here for RIM regarding this matter. The proposal is it would be much easier for us to return our dev alpha to RIM office in Malaysia and at the same time we collect our LE on the spot.

Developer
Torres90

Oh a fellow countryman! Good to see a dev from Malaysia :smileyvery-happy:

So did u proposed for RIM Malaysia regarding this issue? Because I'm going to register my dev alpha very soon.

twitter @Twopinstudio
Developer
kongee
My Device: 9780

I know some from Penang, KL and Negeri Sembilan. There is a developer who is supposed to represent all of us (Malaysians) to foresee this thing will happen but i havent heard anything from him yet. Yeah, he is the only BB Elite from Malaysia.

Well i thought that there will be a BB10 soft launch in Malaysia on the same date so that i could approach them. But i dont think that the soft launch will happen on the same date. So, I havent propose about this to RIM Malaysia yet.

Need to find a day to visit them.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
Mel17
My Device: 9900

If you registered them all under your name and you physically have all the devices to return then you can have the Limited Editions shipped to you.