Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
vingilot
My Device: 9900

Deadline to Send Device

Hey I was wondering if there was a deadline to send back my device? I want to receive it shortly after release like the majority of people but also want to use it for as long as possible for my apps, is there a deadline I need to submit by or a soft deadline in order to get the limited edition immediately following launch? Thank you for any information you can provide on this concern.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Deadline to Send Device

We've heard unofficially now that the Limited Edition devices may quite possibly (not sure if it's even a "probably" or a "certainly") not be available until 6-8 weeks after launch. If that's true, just plan to hang onto your Dev Alpha for as long as you still need it for development, since you might go a long time without a device otherwise, unless you plan to just buy one.

I expect we'll get more official news on that before launch.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
meego_man
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

Looks like you cannot buy one ether, some carriers have launch date end of Februrary, the others are even end of March. Things start to look not very good

Developer
peter9477

[ Edited ]

No carriers have given launch dates yet, as far as I know. At the moment it's widely expected they'll actually start shipping devices within a couple of weeks *at most* after the Jan 30 announcement. Do you have any reliable information to the contrary?

Edit: Okay, I saw the CrackBerry thread(s) today where people believe there are leaks showing availability dates in those timeframes for Bell and T-Mobile. Your guess is as good as mine whether those are real... we'll learn Jan. 30 I suppose.  Keep in mind that even internal systems like the ones the Bell screenshot supposedly came from are often populated with placeholder dates that mean little. I hope that's so in this case too...

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
meego_man

I agree that we'll know everything January 30, but it would be a real disaster if Z10 will be available after 2 month of announcement. I hope also that we'll have LE before any other customers could buy a device so we always prepared for dealing with possible bugs

BlackBerry Development Advisor
Mel17

For sending the Dev Alpha back you can return it anytime, but note that the Limited Editions will not start shipping until 6-8 weeks after BlackBerry 10 launch on Jan 30th.

It depends on how long you want to be without a BlackBerry 10 device.

Developer
peter9477

@Mel17, could someone please get the T&C document reviewed and corrected then? The way it's written now, it's pretty clear that it contradicts your statement about being able to send it any time.

1. "Offer Period" is defined clearly as ending at midnight on Jan 21.

2. A later section "2.6 Participants who do not return Alpha Devices as instructed by Sponsor, or who return them after the end of the Offer Period, will not be eligible for this Offer."

I think even the lawyers would agree that says they must be returned before midnight Jan 21 or you become ineligible.

Developer
meego_man

BlackBerry Development Advisor
Mel17

The deadline is for applicaiton submission into AppWorld, in order to qualify for the Limited Edition program your applicaiton you are using to register must be in by Jan 21st.

Retired
samyotte
My Device: Torch

Thanks for the feedback Peter.  Agreed there is opportunity to re-visit and see what opportunity there existts to address.

The 21st date is for app submission only.  we know there are some folks that will/are in the process of receiving a dev alpha as part of other incentives and will not have the physical device in time for the 21st.  The form to apply for the Limited edition device will remain active post event.