Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
neilwick
My Device: Bold 9790

Re: Dev Alpha C to Limited Edition

I don't believe that there's any trade up from the Dev Alpha C to the Z10 LE. That would defeat the purpose of the Dev Alpha C which is to let you test your apps for a physical keyboard device.

As for a Q10 LE, they haven't hinted at such a thing but I don't suppose it would make sense. The purpose of making a limited edition Z10 was mainly to thank developers for committing to develop apps to a then nonexistent OS. (I mean one that wasn't then commercially available yet.)

It's possible that they could trade the Dev Alpha C for a real Q10, but I wouldn't expect that unless the Q10 offered advantages for testing purposes.
Developer
DueNorth
My Device: Dev Alpha

The purpose of the Dev Alpha C would be for developers to create app (or convert them) to be available for the Q10 release in April.

So an immediate trade for a Z10 LE wouldn't make sense. Perhaps a Q10 trade, but it would be "much" later as they would want to make sure there are enough Q10s available for release.

New Contributor
ernestexia
My Device: Dev Alpha C

Have not see your post before posting. Same issues with me. We inform each other if got more specific info ok!!
Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook

I could see q10 having some kind if trade up.

Yes original trade up was because devs supported a nonexistent OS. But Q10 is even more risky as your targeting a square screened keyboard phone. Think about how hard it would be to port to and from q10 to the other popular devices.

The Q10 represents the most unique aspects of BlackBerry and those I know who have already been using BB for a while now are holding out for it.

Z10 was just a warm up in some sense Q10 will be much harder to get devs to port to. Which makes it a good thing that they released Z10 first. Had they done Q10 first or at the same time I would have been less likely to work with Q10 but now after having such a good experience working with Z10 I'm excited to integrate the keyboard, something devs coming from other platforms will have little xp in.
My Device: Bold 9790

The agreement for the Dev Alpha C says that we have to return it at the end of the testing period, but it wasn't clear when that was.

I just noticed on the Dev Alpha FAQ page that it says, "All Dev Alphas will be disabled on June 30th, 2013." If that includes the Dev Alpha C, they may have some plan to let us keep testing our new apps for that form factor. No announcements have been made so far, but we will see.

New Contributor
ayushrocks6
My Device: Dev Alpha B

I personally feel that trading DA-C w/ Z10 LE could be possible as long as we receive the DA before 31st march. Because the program guidelines simply state that the developer needs to have a Dev Alpha device, as long as the app they're rooting for was uploaded by Feb 28th.
All in all, I would SERIOUSLY appreciate if trading up Dev alpha C ~Z10 LE is possibl! I seriously wish to test & check each & every aspect of my apps properly (not on a simulator!!) before deployment on both types of BB10 devices.
my support & committment for BB10 is clear by the way i've been selected for DA C program as well as the fact that i constantly make native/casacdes apps for BB10.
Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C

If I recall correctly, when I first received my Dev Alpha, I also didn't know when I had to return it.

BlackBerry will probably give something in return for the Dev Alpha, just to make sure that they will receive almost all devices. At least that is my idea on what is going to happen after the deadline, whenever that may be.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

So true! Last year in May, nobody was talking about trade-up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development