Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
ernestexia
My Device: Dev Alpha C

Dev Alpha from Community Port-A-thon qualifies to exchange LE?

[ Edited ]

I would like to enquiry about my BlackBerry 10 Community Port-A-Thon Reward. 
I submitted more than 5 apps in the Community Port-A-Thon Reward and at least 5 of them are approved.
Does this mean I am qualifies for a Dev Alpha Device and does that Dev Alpha Device qualifies to exchange for BB Z10 Limited Edition?
(Since the rewards should not be a future not exist device like Dev Alpha C at the time, and i got Dev Alpha C in the draw)

If the Dev Alpha Device are qualifies for BB Z10 Limited Edition exchange, can tell me what process I should apply it?
Since the deadline for apply the Limited Edition are today, how would I apply for exchange for limited edition since I had yet receive it and knowing the PIN no of device.

Thanks.

Developer
DueNorth
My Device: Dev Alpha

Re: Dev Alpha from Community Port-A-thon qualifies to exchange LE?

You should have received a confirmation a LONG time ago for the Community Port-A-Thon for the Dev Alpha. I believe only the first 250 (or was it 50) people who submitted 5+ apps would get it (not everyone). 

As mentioned above, the Dev Alpha C most likely won't qualify for the Z10 LE exchange since the purpose is for you to develop Q10 device apps and not for you to quickly change it for a Z10 LE.

New Contributor
ernestexia

[ Edited ]

Ya, it was 250 of them.
It indeed a quite few week ago, but my apps haven all completely been reviewed (although 5 of all of them are reviewed)
And I just receive cash rewards link just few day ago.

Developer
DueNorth

For prizes (non-cash), you should have been contacted in advanced if you are eligible for it (even if your apps aren't totally approved yet). So if you didn't hear soon after the event, you most likely won't be getting it.

Developer
mzex
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE, DevAlpha C

They said it will be random draw between people which submitted more than 5 apps. I think that draw wasn't yet.

Developer
DueNorth

Was there one for the Community Port-A-thon? I thought it was only for the Last Change Port-A-Thon (the drawing).

So many Port-A-Thons.

Contributor
Liste
My Device: PlayBook, Dev Alpha C, Red Z10, Black Z10

No, the first 250 (I think) people from the community port-a-thon to submit 5+ apps were supposed to get a Dev Alpha (I assume B) device.  The first 10 to submit 10+ were to get a trip to the Jam Europe.  Right after the community port-a-thon (on January 17th), I got this in an email:

"Congratulations! You are eligible for the cash reward and Dev Alpha Device".  And then a list of my 13 apps.  However, I never got the Dev Alpha Device despite the fact that all of my 13 applications were approved before the January 25th deadline.  I never heard anything from the tmgideas email addresse that I was supposed to.

I don't know if I did something wrong, or whether it was because I already have a Dev Alpha A, or what.  I was just googling it and came across this, so I thought I'd respond.  I suppose I could contact Blackbery Developer Relations.  I'm not overly concerned (though I would have loved to earn a Alpha B), but I can understand how others might be.

Developer
DueNorth

I have heard people got multiple Dev Alphas because of Port-a-Thons so I don't think that is the issue. I would contact them because usually object prizes are faster than cash prizes (still waiting). 

New Contributor
ernestexia

Still Waiting too

[ Edited ]

If i get an an LE from the Alpha B i get from Community Port-A-thon (still waiting)

(I won't hesistate share the Dev Alpha C to other developer)
BlackBerry Dev Device + a BB coordinate community of dev willing to share their dev alpha (without letting go the partial ownership to possibility to exchange to LE), it would be great mobile dev community.

Contributor
Liste
My Device: PlayBook, Dev Alpha C, Red Z10, Black Z10

OK, thanks DueNorth.   I just emailed them about it, though perhaps I was supposed to email Touchstone (the ones in charge of shipping the Dev Alphas).  I don't know.  We'll see what happens.

+ernestexia That's a great idea!  I currently have a Dev Alpha A (which I'll be upgrading for the LE), and should be receiving a Dev Alpha C in a few weeks, so if there's anyone reading this from the Easter Townships, I'd be glad to share provided that's allowed in the TOS: I didn't read them with that idea in mind, but I don't remember anything against it.  As long as I retain the device and ship it back to BB once done.