Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
nemory
My Device: BlackBerry RED Z10

How many Dev Alphas you got? And how many you're going to return?

How many Dev Alphas you got? And how many you're going to return?

I didn't need more than 1 dev alpha but I just won the other ones.

I have 4 total Dev Alphas, the 3 came from the port a thons and 1 came from the appcelerator program. I already applied for the 4 dev alphas for an LE Trade Up, and only 2 got accepted for now. How about you guys?

Contributor
metacuong
My Device: Z10 LE | Waiting for DAC

Re: How many Dev Alphas you got? And how many you're going to return?

I have only one dev alpha a and i sent it back to BlackBerry.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

I only have 1 too.  In fact I'm pretty sure that was the intention of the program... to get a device into a developers hands so they could build apps and test on the hardware.

Upon successfully creating and submitting an app, BlackBerry was kind enough to offer up the Limited Edition device as a reward for your hard work and believing in BlackBerry 10.

If you gained more than one alpha device (regardless of scenario) so be it... but I think that filing for more than 1 LE device is really abusing the program.

I'd suggest returning the devices to BlackBerry as is... or if BlackBerry concurs this is a good idea, share your DA device with a fellow developer and mentor them so that they can bring their apps to the BlackBerry World marketplace.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Originally, it was ment for one-on-one because at Jams you are a unique person that gets the device. But later on port-a-thons and appcelerator contest, companies could attend and inside the company there are plenty of developers involved.

A good example is the following fact:
For the Jam you have to sign a contract, for port-a-thons you didn't have to anymore so the devices are not really tied to a personal email.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
New Developer
jadouber
My Device: Black Berry Bold 9900

As I read online (terms and conditions): you are allowed to get a trade up when you have signed the acceptance agreement. That means if you get multiple trade ups (and only signed one form) there is a miss in the system.

And like the others already mentioned: it should be a one on one relation, so let us all keep it like that. Would be a shame if people would miss out of this
BlackBerry World submissions

YahtC - http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/24150872 - Check it out!

Free Yahtzee game for you and your friends! Step up to the challenge and see who is the Yahtzee-champion!

Leave a review, thanks!

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

As noted... if you personally ended up with more than 1 DA device so be it (I'm not the DA police ;-)

However my feeling is that if you submitted an app, and are therefore eligible for the trade in, great!  but if you submitted additional apps under your vendor account those are just extra.

If "Joe Bloggs" at your company submitted an app, then he/that company is eligible for the LE swap.

I just *personally* feel that taking advantage of BlackBerry's program to obtain more than 1 LE device for a single developer is (again, IMHO) abuse of the program.  Besides I can really only use 1 device at a time... a 2nd, 3rd, etc. would just be a waste.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Trusted Contributor
AGZ123
My Device: Bold 9700

Is there going to be a Q10 LE or are we gonna be able to trade a Dev Alpha C for the Z10 LE?

Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Something else: In case of Appcelerator offer you can keep dev alpha if you submit Titanium app or return it in the other case.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900

I agree with steve_web, Their are still some developer have not received their trade up email confirmation for their first device yet. Just because some other developer traded up to 4+ device for themselves.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

^^^ So much true :smileysad: