Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip
Accepted Solution

Possible extension of the final date ?

I got one question about BB10 trade-up offer. I still haven't received any mail from Got Game Port-A-Thon regarding Dev Alpha reward(1 game still not approved) and given the fact that the following period there're many non-working days (christmas, new year holidays etc) probably delivery will be carried in January which leaves no time to qualify for the trade-up program. 

What happens with these Dev Alpha devices if we miss the deadline or is is there any possible way to extend the deadline ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Wiki_Berry
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: AIS Thailand

Re: Possible extension of the final date ?

If you miss the deadline the Dev Alpha devices will automatically be bricked. I dont think there is any way you can extend the deadline...
If you have an answer to your question then please click “Accept as Solution”
Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit.
BB 8700 -> Bold 9000 -> Curve 8520 -> Bold 9700 -> Curve 9320 -> Bold 9900 -> BlackBerry Z10 + PlayBook 64 GB Wi-Fi
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
Mel17
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

The Jan 21st deadline date refers to the date that your application must be submitted into BlackBerry World. You can register for the Limited Edition trade up anytime as long as you are using the app submitted on or before Jan 21st. 

Hope that helps. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
taras-voytishen
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: MTS

I will finish my app after Jan 21st, hope about Feb 

Can i later trade-up DevAlpha on Limited Edition or common BB Z10 ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

When are the Dev Alphas gonna be bricked?

I was planning to take mine to the JamSterdam as there's no way I'll get an upgrade before then

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You're probably ok for Jamsterdam. In another thread, someone at RIM was trying to find out the date. Since the LE wont ship for 6-8 weeks, one would assume, it wont brick until then.
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

Well, 9 day till launch + 8 weeks for BB10 LE availability (~2 months) + 15 days (at least) for shipping, customs etc, gives mid-April/early-May. Disabling Dev Alpha devices during this period seems very illogical. Probably RIM will change its initial idea :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
neilwick
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Telus

There's no way they will brick them before the LE devices are ready to be shipped. That would just be shooting themselves in the foot, and they don't want to do that.

Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

I have to ask, as I am curious... why does RIM plan to brick them at all? Yeah, they may not be supported with updates in the future, and they may be a bit clunky, but they do serve a purpose for testing software. Couldn't a developer just disable wifi on them during the 'bricking' time, and run them forever?

It's a bit moot with the trade-up offer (I plan to trade mine in anyway)... but I was wondering what the reason is for bricking them in the first place.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
fullfat
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: wifi

How they brick it on certain date? Is it the message about the development program is over once you boot up the OS some day?

Please use plain text.