Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Post Here When You Get Your Dev Alpha C

I don't really understand why they don't let them be used as a phone either? What we do with the device while we have it doesn't really make a difference, does it?

I would love to be able to use that device as a real phone. And it would be good marketing imo.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF
My Device: Bold 9780, DevAlpha
My Carrier: Vodafone CZ

I do not understand too. If my app will use phone/hub functionality, how to test it on that device?!

Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Telus

Well with your imagination of course :smileywink:

...I think it's a bit silly they stipped down the os as well, use of hub/sms for messaging functinalities would be better for testing than purely BBM
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
neilwick
My Device: Bold 9790

I have to think that the main reason they wouldn't want us to use it as a real phone is to discourage people from selling it to someone else, which would keep it from being used as a development device. It's not really authorized by, for example, the FCC to be used as a normal device. I'm not sure how stringent those types of regulations are.

Aside from that, I'm not so sure that the phone and hub functions are completely written and debugged. There are basic functions that may still not be quite right. With the OS shipped on the device, I noticed that tap and hold highlighted words or sentences near the top of the screen when the tap was near the bottom. I haven't noticed this problem since I updated the OS with the autoloader.

I've noticed with the apps I've tried so far that the splash screen on app startup is using the 1024x768 graphics squashed to fit the square screen. I don't use those in my apps, so I haven't tested yet to see whether that is a bug in the OS or in the app. I'm expected that it's in the app, but I can't be sure at this point.

By the way, I got my Dev Alpha C on Wednesday, the 27th of March, here in Canada. It was shipped on Tuesday. Here's the box it came in: https://twitter.com/neilwick/status/316985312020672513

Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Another explanation: Q10 is not out yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.
Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

Yeah, that is pretty true like when people were able to fully load the OS10 on the DEV A/B devices they were selling on craigslist & ebay.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
shubhamm
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: BSNL

any news when it will gonna ship in India ??

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jetstreamblue
My Device: Z10 LE #00055

Teaboy1748 wrote:
Yeah, that is pretty true like when people were able to fully load the OS10 on the DEV A/B devices they were selling on craigslist & ebay.

Funnily enough, people were selling them even when it was running the crippled OS.  But that was a different time before BB10 was out.  I don't see much resale value for Dev C's with the Q10 out.

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gp2mv3
My Device: 2 Playbook's (16 and 32Go) + Waiting for the Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Still no news about shipping to Europe ?

I'm in Belgium and still waiting...

Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10, Dev Alpha C

Overall after a few weeks I find that I really enjoy mine, being able to pull it out of my pocket and have the digital world at my fingertips is awesome especially with the snapdragons oomph.

There are a few quirks I hope will get worked out over time, I find that most apps are susceptible to closing without any warning and my contacts are showing up under different names than who they actually are 

Please use plain text.