Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Using Z10 LE for development

I know there was discussion on this a while back and BlackBerry said they were working on something but I've seen nothing since.

I would really like to test new app versions on forthcoming 'full version' OSs but using the Z10 LE as my main phone means I'm keeping it at v10.0 until an official update and I'm hesitent to install leaked OS's unless forced to.

From a debug point of view we really need access to all versions of previous full OSs as well.

Would someone from BlackBerry like to clarify where the discussions on providing something like this to developers has got to?

Thanks.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
pkcable
My Device: Z30/Xperia Z Ultra
My Carrier: Verizon/T-Mobile

Re: Using Z10 LE for development

Leaked 10.1 has been pretty solid for many people.  Or so I have heard.  :smileywink:

Rich C (PKcable)
From Crackberry.com

If I have been helpful please click like! Use the Thumbs up icon below this message. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

BlackBerry 10.1 : Gotta have it? Get it!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

I've put the leaked 10.1 on my Dev Alpha C and apart from losing an email password on restore worked fairly well.

It's a different story with a phone you want to use as a normal phone, the Z10 LE is too nice a phone to use as a development platform. :smileyhappy:  I don't mind installing a beta 'full OS' as long as it's official but leaked ROMs are always going to carry an element of risk and are usually a bit behind the version curve. Plus it's tedious having to backup - install - restore each time, I'd rather an over the air beta update each time.

BlackBerry did say in another posting that they would look at a way for developers to get updates quicker and get specific carrier ROMs, I was hoping just to get an update on where they were with that.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

I guess what would be ideal is if BlackBerry managed a list of developer phone IDs and pushed the updates out to those phones only, BlackBerry as a developer carrier so to speak.

[Edit] After all with Q10 just about to be released, giving us an offical 10.1 'full OS' beta on the Z10 won't affect anything, there are no secrets left to reveal. 

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

BBSJdev wrote:

BlackBerry did say in another posting that they would look at a way for developers to get updates quicker and get specific carrier ROMs, I was hoping just to get an update on where they were with that.

They have commented in that thread (just a couple days ago) there has been no progress on that issue.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

Thanks, couldn't find the right search words to locate it.

It's an important issue so hopefully some movement on it soon.

Please use plain text.