Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
fireball003
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

What will BB do with rest of the LE?

[ Edited ]

Lot of developers are still receiving dev alpha devices with no trade up plan available and future of those devices are yet to be known. At this point it seems, BB couldn't ship dev alpha devices to 12000 developers (one device per developer) they targeted. Maybe not even half. There are so many developers who have received more than one dev alpha A/B. From the LE notification numbers, it also seems that less than one third of targeted 12000 have applied for the LE.

Assuming that they have already built 12000 LE, what are they going to do with the rest of the devices? Extend trade up one last time? But Alec said that they wouldn't be extending time anymore.  I guess, BB will not sell or give away LE devices as they have promised the early stage developers to be the only recepients.

If they are building LE on demand basis, and no further plan for trade up, does that mean we (would) have one of the <4000 limited edition devices instead of one of the 12000? Not to mention, that will be cool!

Please use plain text.
Developer
ap_spd
My Device: 9900, waiting for LE Z10

Re: What will BB do with rest of the LE?

hey fireball I doubt if BB would reduce the numbers of LE so drastically. Maybe the other LE will be made and shipped in coming days..
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
fireball003

[ Edited ]

ap_spd, well, the issue seems not the limited number of LE devices, but not enough devs applying for LE. I haven't seen any AN number more than 33XX so far. And, since we don't need to mention our region with our AN number while emailing to the dev relations, so I think they are unique worldwide.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
kaihiong
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Even though they plan for 12000 LE devices, they might only manufacture a certain portion of it for LE. Anyway, it's just a change of casing from Black/White to Red only, shouldn't be that hard for BB 

Please use plain text.
Developer
mzex
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE, DevAlpha C

@fireball003

Colleague of mine got AN-35**

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
fireball003

@kaihiong, since BB declared LE only for the early developers with dev alpha, and since Alec Saunders declared no more extension of deadline, and practically the AN number is still within 4000, shouldn't we say, This device is one of the 4000 devices built worldwide, instead of saying one of the 12000. :smileywink:

@mzex, well, lets see if there is someone with AN number, 4000+. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Developer
PrnvKP
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 LE

As the trade up submission form will be available till mid of 2013 all developers receiving DA from the draws will be able to trade right because the Port a thons  were conducted in Jan well before LE tradeup app submission deadline. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
fireball003

Ahh! That makes sense. I completely forgot the fact that you only had to submit an app before February 28, 2013. And it is not necessary to have your device by then.

Thanks @PrnvKP
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

Sooner or later they'll hit 12k milestone. Keep in mind that some developers have 6+ dev alphas and also blackberry started shipping few Z10 LE per developer.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AparnaM
My Device: Dev Alpha B

I feel they should have extended the 28th Feb deadline.
Please use plain text.