Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
sh2sg
My Device: Not Specified

Will there be a trade-up program for Dev Alpha C?

Eg, Q10 Limited Edition :Wacko:

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Will there be a trade-up program for Dev Alpha C?

They have not said. Nobody should count on it.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
246droids
My Device: Playbook

Q10 Limited Edition, sounds good, btw. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
SangramPatil
My Device: BB10 Dev Aplha
My Carrier: -

I don't mind if they strengthen the criteria for Limited Edition trade up for Q10 :-)  like 3-4 apps!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mickeprag
My Device: Dev Alpha A+C. Playbook.
My Carrier: Tele2, Sweden

First of all, I have no affiliation with RIM/BlackBerry. This is only my personal thoughts.

The Dev Alpha C is, just like the Dev Alpha A+B, prototype devices. This means they have not been certified by the carriers and should therefore only be used a limited time. They will either be locked or RIM will offer some trade in program. My bet is both.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

mickeprag, the agreement we all have to accept has the same sort of text in it about the device remaining RIM's property and needing to be returned upon expiration of the "test period".

Whether they do another sort of "limited edition" or trade-in program or not, it won't affect the fact that as you say, we cannot keep using them indefinitely. They could just ask us to return them, without offering anything in exchange... anyone who gets one has basically accepted a contract to do that, when requested.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mickeprag

Yes, of course. That is why they will be locked. Try getting back development devices that still works... :smileywink:

Anyway, I believe many developers like to keep the devices as "trophies" even if they are locked. If RIM wants them back, a trade up program is a good way to do that.

What ever happens, we can be sure of one thing. They will be locked at the end of the program.

My wish is for development devices without SIM slots that the developers can keep and really use as dedicated development devices. Or why don't just buy the real Z10 or Q10?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

They already thanked developer with the RED LE Trade up for the A/B Dev Alpha, I don't expect them to do it again.

Please use plain text.
Developer
DueNorth
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't expect anything from BlackBerry for the Dev Alpha C. What I am wondering is why they are having drawings for Dev Alphas still for the last Port-A-Thon if they will be locked out. 

I am just hoping they will just let developers keep them for development purposes only. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mickeprag

I think they give these devices out so they can be traded for the LE later. I don't know why not just wait and give the LE directly?

Please use plain text.