Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
DueNorth
My Device: Dev Alpha

Re: Will there be a trade-up program for Dev Alpha C?

The trade in program has closed so I am not sure how you would be able to trade in any of the newly issued Dev Alpha devices. It would be a totally new program. 

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I think they're distributing these devices so that 1500 (or whatever) developers who've demonstrated an ability to deliver apps can get their apps modified for the Q10 before the Q10 has launched...

That gives those developers a head-start compared to those who don't get these, and as that's a competitive advantage, it has value that will last even beyond the expiration date.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
mickeprag
My Device: Dev Alpha A+C. Playbook.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the trade in is still open. It's just the app submission that is closed. If you won the Dev Alpha in a Port-o-tron you already qualified for the trade up.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

[ Edited ]

You were right until last night: https://developer.blackberry.com/limitededition/ "Did you miss the application submission deadline of Jan 21st? We have extended the application deadline to Feb 28th."

Edit: oh, but if you were talking solely about the port-a-thon stuff, yes, I would not expect that deadline to affect the situation with that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Trusted Contributor
neilwick
My Device: Bold 9790

DueNorth wrote:

The trade in program has closed so I am not sure how you would be able to trade in any of the newly issued Dev Alpha devices. It would be a totally new program. 

You can still trade in a Dev Alpha [A or B], so long as you submitted an acceptable app by February 28.  According to the FAQ page, "all Dev Alphas" will be de-activated on June 30, 2013.

We agreed to send back the Dev Alpha C by the "end of the test period" so maybe that's June 30. They haven't said that clearly yet, nor have they said whether they will provide some other means of testing apps for the keyboard models after this test period ends. Maybe they haven't figured that out yet.

Trusted Contributor
itcraps
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

They will, since 1500 units is nothing to BlackBerry

www.jackdevora.com
Trusted Contributor
sh2sg
My Device: Not Specified

I believe more than 1500 units, from email confirmation number (DAC-xxxx), I guess it is about 10000 units.
Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook

1500 + 500-1500 units for attendees of BBJam Europe, who submitted an app. So ~2500.
My Device: Bold 9790

I'm guessing it's not 10,000. The 4-digit numbers may all be in the 6,000s and 7,000s for example. We know there were 1500 units based on points and some awarded to BB Jam Europe attendees. There may be more in the future, depending how things go. For example they might do something at BB Jam Americas, though the Q10 should already be out by then, I think, so I don't know.

Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

If you carefully look at the deadline when Dev Alpha Cs will be sent, then you can expect additional 1500 for BlackBerry Dev Americas this May.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development