Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
AlexXF
My Device: Bold 9780, DevAlpha
My Carrier: Vodafone CZ

Re: what will happen with the alpha dev from January 30

chall3ng3r, if dev.alpha will get Full OS at 30th January, what's a point to trade it to LE device? If it will work like a LE device, then you do not need to create apps, just wait for 30th and enjoy!

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

RIM wants the Dev Alphas off the street. If you dont return them for an LE, it will be automatically bricked sometime in the near future (guess to be around May). So at best, you will have a paper weight.
Please use plain text.
Developer
kongee
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Digi

This is what most likely  will happen on/after 30th January 2013. Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF

Jtegen, if Alpha will brick at May, so what's a point to return it to RIM? Currently I have 8-10 weeks blackout in BB10 development. I can't create any application for 8-10 weeks.

There is no secret - RIM will launch another trade program, and another...

If RIM provide full OS for Dev Alpha, then my competitors will have 6-8 weeks instead of me.

So, I need to purchase device after announce to stay on the board?
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

AlexXF wrote:
Jtegen, if Alpha will brick at May, so what's a point to return it to RIM? Currently I have 8-10 weeks blackout in BB10 development. I can't create any application for 8-10 weeks.
So, I need to purchase device after announce to stay on the board?

The Dev Alpha will not get the full OS, period.

You don't need to return it right away... you can wait until much closer to the final deadline they provide (not provided yet, I think) for returning it to trade up to the Limited Edition. They've said they won't leave us hanging without devices for two months...

If you don't qualify for the LE, I guess there's no point returning it, but some time after launch it will become useless for development when they brick it.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF

Device return deadline can be found in LE Terms & Conditions: "... end of Offer Period ... " (p.2.6.)

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The Terms as written do clearly state it had to be returned by the 21st ("end of Offer Period") but we've been getting information from them, somewhat unofficially through 3-4 different channels, with a clear recommendation that we ignore that one part of the Terms since they will not enforce that.

Official confirmation of that, however, doesn't seem to be forthcoming just yet, and the Terms (as of this moment) still have the restrictions you note.

It's sort of moot anyway... if you believe the Terms are the only thing that matters, and you didn't return it yet, then you've already missed it. If you believe that they've informally indicated they will relax the date for that part of paragraph 2.6, then all you need to do is wait patiently for them to update us with more official confirmation, since there's nothing else you could do right now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nickmartins
My Device: Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha A , Blackberry Bold 9780 , Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: mobile

I believe that after a while dev alpha will be a paper weight

Please use plain text.
Developer
chall3ng3r
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Z10 LE
My Carrier: UfonePK

Everyone who got DevAlphaB knows its not like a finished product. It just feels like a bare-board put in a simple box.

Being in Nokia Developer Champion program, Nokia sent us a developer MeeGo device N950 before N9 official launch, the device worked like final product, and after release of the N9, we got the same retail OS update for N950.

I still have N950 and from time to time I use i for Qt development and personal use.

I am not impressed with RIM on this plan.

Also, I won't be able to send back the DevAlpha device back to RIM as we cannot send electronic items from home addresses. I tried once to send back a faulty Nokia device (which they sent me as gift), I dropped it at local DHL but customs stopped it and returned it back to me. Nokia sent me new device, but that faulty unit still remained.

So, I guess once this DebAlphaB gets bricked, I might try to hack Android on to it :smileytongue:

// chall3ng3r //
--
- Our PlayBook Apps: IdeaPad | EasyCrop | Popcornia
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
- A Kudo is appreciated if you like my post :smileyhappy:
- My post soveld the problem? Please click Accept as Solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF

chall3ng3r, I do not like this politics too. But this is illegal to 'hack' DevAlpha device. Please remeber - DevAlpha is not your property, this is a property of Research In Motion.

Please use plain text.