Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Re: when we will approximately need to return the devAlpha?

[ Edited ]

PORTATHON

http://www.blackberrydeveloperevents.com/events/webcast/registration/register.html?scoid=1078423718

Terms and conditions:
https://developer.blackberry.com/offers/communityportathonterms/

FAQ:
https://developer.blackberry.com/offers/communityportathonfaq/

LIMITED EDITION

Link:

https://developer.blackberry.com/limitededition/

When you login, you will see terms and conditions for trade-up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Developer
soaman

Aha, I've checked the first reply.

If you have been qualified, then you already have Dev Alpha.

And if you develop functional BB 10 app, then you are qualified for exchange.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

From an earlier post, it sounds like the Dev Alpha gets sent it, and some timer later, we get contacted about getting the limited edition device. So we will have no device to develop with for a couple of weeks? That can be real ugly. Especially during a time when all these users will be downloading apps. What happens when there is a bug and we have no device to debug with. Can this dead time be avoided??
Developer
soaman

Probably not :smileysad:
Developer
razorek
My Device: BlackBerry Z10LE

[ Edited ]

@HSingh2012 where did your information come from:

"RIM will contact you very soon after the BB10 Launch that that is on Jan 30th about sending back the Dev Alpha Device, then they will contact you again about sending you the BB10 Limited Edition."

If you read the terms and conditions, it states that (two subtracts):

"1. Offer Period. Offer is open between 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on November 29, 2012 and 11:59:59 p.m. ET on January 21, 2013 (“Offer Period”). Research In Motion Limited (“Sponsor”) reserves the right to extend the Offer Period at any time in its sole discretion and will post a notice of such change on the Offer Website. "

and 

"2.6 Participants who do not return Alpha Devices as instructed by Sponsor, or who return them after the end of the Offer Period, will not be eligible for this Offer. "

So what it means is that you have to send the Dev Alpha before January 21'st so it reaches RIM by January 21st. At least that's what the terms and conditions say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I really don't like the idea that I would have to send my Dev Alpha before the launch.

New Developer
jerryeight
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B / BlackBerry PlayBook

I just hope that the emails will go out on Jan 1 2013 so that we can all make the Jan 21st deadline for returning the Dev Alphas

BB Rocks !
Developer
jtegen

100% agree. Not having a device to test on at the time when real consumers are using your apps is asking for trouble. If we can get a FedEx/overnight guarantee so that the devices are processed in 1 day, so at worse we have 3 days of downtime without a device. I would pay to ship my dev alpha out if I knew I would get the final device back in 3 days.
Developer
Wiki_Berry
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

FedEx? No thank you..! Unless you are interested in paying for the Customs tax for me! :smileyhappy:
If you have an answer to your question then please click “Accept as Solution”
Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit.
BB 8700 -> Bold 9000 -> Curve 8520 -> Bold 9700 -> Curve 9320 -> Bold 9900 -> BlackBerry Z10 + PlayBook 64 GB Wi-Fi
Developer
jtegen

What ever is fastest for your region. Question of paying a little money for a $400+ 'free' device to get it in a few days, or pay nothing and wait a couple of weeks with nothing to test on and have customer reporting a bug that you cannot test. Your choice.
New Developer
jerryeight
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B / BlackBerry PlayBook

I have no problems paying some shipping to get the awesome limited edition phone within days of the public release. Being able to test your apps and help your customers with a device in hand is invaluable
BB Rocks !