Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
Wiki_Berry
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: AIS Thailand

Re: when we will approximately need to return the devAlpha?

@jtegen,
You might want to find out details before replying, In a country like mine you are not charged a "little extra money" for import tax,
I got a invitation once, from abroad - I was charged 60 usd, how about for a phone?
If you have an answer to your question then please click “Accept as Solution”
Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit.
BB 8700 -> Bold 9000 -> Curve 8520 -> Bold 9700 -> Curve 9320 -> Bold 9900 -> BlackBerry Z10 + PlayBook 64 GB Wi-Fi
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

Same issue in my country. High import fee for anything that you get from abroad (sometimes even 40% from products retail value + other expences)
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Expensive. Yes, I am not up on all of the import trade agreements on all the countries of the world. You have to factor that into your decision of doing business in those cases. All I was trying to get across (for those that can afford it) that spending a little money to avoid not being able support your customers because the new phone is pending delivery may be worth it for some. In your case, probably not.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AwesomeDev
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: N/A

We should definitely ask someone at RIM to clarify the specifics of the trade-in for us in the near future. Perhaps people who are already finished testing with their Dev Alphas could send them in before launch so that the process is faster?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Wiki_Berry
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: AIS Thailand

@jtegen
"For those who can afford it"
I obviously can afford it, but when the Bold was new someone sent it to me, say about $600 was the value in Thailand, they were trying to charge me $1100 for tax, it also depends which staff you are dealing with whilst most are like this. And now we are talking about a Limited Edition here. If the price is $700 for a normal one, they'd make it another 300 to show limited I guess, then thai import - $1900? I could buy a Porsche Design P'9981 with that, maybe they have a BB10 Version too!
If you have an answer to your question then please click “Accept as Solution”
Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit.
BB 8700 -> Bold 9000 -> Curve 8520 -> Bold 9700 -> Curve 9320 -> Bold 9900 -> BlackBerry Z10 + PlayBook 64 GB Wi-Fi
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

@HSingh2012: Gotta love governments that can tax more than the value of the product. My government cant do much right either lately. They (US) feel they have to argue even over the weather

I have no idea what the "limited edition" phone will be, but it could just be a sticker on it that says "Limited Edition".
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
Mel17
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

You wil be contacted via email indicating whether you qualify for the Limited Edition device, if you do you would be notified when you will need to return the device. Timelines are currently post BlackBerry 10 launch on Jan 30th.

Please use plain text.
Developer
apman
My Device: Not Specified

Mel17 wrote:

.. if you do you would be notified when you will need to return the device. Timelines are currently post BlackBerry 10 launch on Jan 30th.

I received a shipping label today and an additional mail saying "Please ensure you drop off your package at a UPS location."  - nothing about *when* (or when at the latest) and no indication that there would be any further notifications when it's time ...

I'm also wondering if the "first come, first serve" clause in the terms and conditions refers to when your application was approved, or when they receive your Dev Alpha ... I'm inclined to do the switch maybe two or three weeks after launch, to make sure I still have a device to quickly respond to any possible problems user may unearth, but I'd hate to miss out, if by then all devices were gone.

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Please use plain text.
Developer
meego_man
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

[ Edited ]

Ok, I've got a reply from them: "You will need to send your Dev Alpha back by BB10 launch at the end of the month. The replacement upgrade will be sent to you at the address you provided when you registered." So I guess it's not anymore 21 January but rather launch event. It's good because I have more time to port out apps :smileyhappy:

Note: this is a reply from customerservice@brandalliance.com

Please use plain text.
Developer
meego_man
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

Interesting document to read which describes steps for Dev Alpha return and LE arrival:

http://bbjam.brandalliance.com/ProcessDoc/BBJamProcess.pdf

Please use plain text.