Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

Contributor
kalliopp
My Device: Blackberry Q10 SQN100-3
My Carrier: Slovak Telekom (T-Mobile Slovakia)

4G/LTE support for BlackBerry Q10, T-Mobile Slovakia

Hi,
my carrier T-Mobile Slovakia provides 4G/LTE network in my area. I am not able to use 4G network with my Blackberry Q10 SQN100-3. BlackBerry Q10 does not have 4G option in the Network Mode menu. If I use my SIM card with Samsung Galaxy S4 mini I am able to use 4G/LTE network successfully without problems. Could you please explain why? Is there a possibility I am able to use 4G/LTE with my BlackBerry Q10 in the future?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 4G/LTE support for BlackBerry Q10, T-Mobile Slovakia

Hello,

The first step is to make sure that your specific device is compatible with the 4G/LTE radio signals that your carrier uses. You can review what the device capabilities are here:

You likely will have to ask your carrier if their network operates within what your specific device supports. If they are not compatible, then you are done...if your carrier operates on radio frequencies that your device does not support, there is nothing you can do to overcome that.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kalliopp

Hello,
my carrier uses LTE 800/1800/2600 Mhz frequencies. My BB Q10 SQN100-3 supports LTE 800/900/1800/2600 Mhz frequencies. Problem is that with T-Mobile Slovakia SIM card is enabled only 2G, 3G and 2G & 3G in the Network Mode menu. 4G variants (4G&3G, 4G&3G&2G) are not listed in the Network Mode menu. I often use T-Mobile Austria SIM card in Austria and with my BB Q10 has all 4G variants in the Network Mode enabled. If I change my T-Mobila Austria SIM card to T-Mobile Slovakia SIM card, my mobile device will connect for very short time (2-3 seconds) to T-Mobile Slovakia 4GLTE network. After 3 seconds 4GLTE icon is changed to "No Signal" and device is connected only in to T-Mobile SK 3G/H+ network. I think my device is capable to use 4G frequencies of my carrier. It seems carrier settings are not upgraded for use in 4G network. I called customer technical support line today and operator told me: "We have already approved and released carrier settings firmware for BlackBerry 4G capable devices uses T-Mobile Slovakia SIM cards. T-Mobile Slovakia is still waiting BlackBerry will released carrier settings via OTA update for our (T-Mobile Slovakia) customers". If it is correct information, probably BlackBerry can help. Do you have information when could be carrier settings upgrade available over the air?
Thanks,
Kalliopp

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I am not positive what all of that means...but I suspect that what you are trying to do is roam on the Slovakia network using a SIM from a different carrier. That requires even more things to be in place...specifically, an agreement between those carriers for the levels of service they will provide, as well as you subscribing to, from the SIM providing carrier, a data plan adequate to enable those services while roaming. That can be a very tricky configuration to enable...for it involves not only you, but now TWO carriers to get coordinated. Tricky indeed.

There is nothing you can do to get anything from BB directly. All things are controlled by the carriers for release to their customers. If the network you are attempting to roam on does not have what it needs from BB, then it is up to them (not you) to get what they need from BB to support their customers. However, since you are roaming on them, their network indeed may well not push out to your device what it needs...you would need one of their SIM cards in order for their network to properly recognize you as one of their customers and push out what is needed.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kalliopp

Thanks for you answer. I am not trying to roam on the Slovakia network. I use T-Mobile Slovakia SIM card in the Slovakia and I use T-Mobile Austria SIM card in the Austria. I am only trying to investigate, why my BB Q10 is able to use 4G network with T-Mobile Austria SIM on the Austria network (not roam) and why the same BB Q10 device with T-Mobile Slovakia SIM on the Slovakia network (not roam) is not able to use 4G network. With the same T-Mobile Slovakia SIM card inserted in the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, S4 mini is able to use 4G network (BB Q10 is not able to use 4G on the Slovakia with T-Mobile Slovakia SIM card). LTE is activated on mentioned T-Mobile Slovakia SIM card. Customer technical care told me, that T-Mobile had approved carrier settings upgrade and they were waiting for BlackBerry would release FW OTA. You wrote all things were controlled by carriers for realease to their customers. I think it is complicated situation. T-Mobile Slovakia is waiting for BlackBerry and BlackBerry leave it to carriers, T-Mobile SK too :smileyhappy:  Probably I have to wait for the time carrier upgrade will be realease OTA.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ah, OK...that better helps me understand what you are attempting. If TMO Slovakia has told you that your specific model Q10 is compatible with their network for full 4G/LTE service, and further that they simply cannot yet deliver that service due to something needing to be pushed out to the Q10's on their network, and further that they don't have what they need to push out yet, then indeed yes you must wait. There is nothing you can obtain separately...all of these things are pushed to the end user device by the carrier. BB provides them to the carriers, but the carriers control when they push them to their end users. If the carrier indeed has not received what they need, then it is they that need to be escalating to BB to get what they need. There is nothing you can separately obtain.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.