Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

New Contributor
uvampelj
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Simobil

App privacy

Hello!

FIrst of all I would like to apologise if this topic does not fit into this forum and if admins believe so, please move this discussion into the appropriate forum.

I would like to discuss with you a topic regarding app privacy. And this goes for all versions, not only OS 10- however if any change is to be made surely OS 10 will be on the frontline.

I know that the BBOS is one of the safest and most secure to this day, however BBOS app permission need a lot of polishing. So my basic idea is why not create something like a "sandbox app" that would basically tell me EXACTLY what information any chosen app on my phone is trying to access and an option to block this app from doing so- and I mean in detail. I would like to know if my flashlight app is trying to copy my phonebook, or send my location. To that matter I would like to know to whom is it sending this info?

Basically i believe that privacy will become more and more desirable in the future(now let's be honest- if you are currently logged into your facebook account you probably do not know what I am talking about). And Blackberry being in the center of security and privacy inovation could realy develop a sandbox option into their OS, said sandbox should inform the user of ALL activities that an app does. Who knows what facebook messenger and google docs actualy steal from you?? I don't. But I would like to know!

I would appreciate any insight to this matter..

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,880
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: App privacy

With BlackBerry10, you can look and see exactly what all permissions are included with each application.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
radsystems
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: Mobile

This is a good point and a valid concern. One of the problems for us developers who genuinely care about our user's privacy is that the permissions we request are grouped into categories.

I try to request the minimum required for the app to function but sometimes the grouping of the permissions leave users puzzled as to why it requires all those things, even though it may only be using one item in the whole list of that group.

On BlackBerry World in the app descriptions, I detail what permissions are requested and why, so that users know what to expect. I hope in future BlackBerry can allow developers to request very specific permissions so that users know exactly what is being used.

The nice thing about the BlackBerry platform is that users can choose to accept or deny each individual permission requested by an app.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
uvampelj
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Simobil

Hey,

Thx for all the answers.

Regarding BB10, I hadn't have the pleasure of using it yet. It's not yet available in my country:smileyhappy: We're too small I guess.. So you say that permissions are very specific in OS 10. That's progress. However does it inform you of the actions taken by  an app?

Lets take  an example. If i grant an app the permission to use internet, by definition "allow this app to send and receive data." and with a warning "this could potentially be used to send your personal data to other services."  Now let's say that this app developer can relatively be trusted. So now if I grant the app this permission, I would want to know what it does with it. Did it in fact send my data or not??

Another example: let's say that a instant messaging app need's access to my phone book and they explain this by saying they need access to display names in my contact list properly. All geniune reasons. But by granting them this permission, they gain the option to copy my entire phone book. Well I would like to know if they did it.

So that's what I mean by an "sandbox" option integrated into the OS- I would like to have the option to monitor apps for their activity  and be informed of all actions that app did(and an option to block it). I'm using the word sandbox, don't know if it's correct in this matter, if not please correct me.

And I know developers have a thought job to do, but not alll of u guys are honest and can be trusted. I'm sorry to say that but you cannot not agree with me. So as a user I think BB would gain a lot if they offered this option in their OS.

Thanks for your comments!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
radsystems
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: Mobile

No, I'm saying permissions are not very specific but rather grouped into related categories. For example, in a flashlight app you need the camera permission to use the light but this also allows the app to take pictures or record videos because it is all grouped under the one permission.

Yes, the ability to see exactly what apps are doing with your device would be a very good feature to include in the OS.

Please use plain text.