Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

New Contributor
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Tmobile

BB Z10 not turning on after 10.2 software update

I am really unsatisfied with this new update. I upgraded to the new OS this morning and after restarting to allow the new OS to take affect, my phone never came on. I did that after 8am on Saturday March 22nd. It is now 11:33 pm and my phone is still unable to restart. It boots up and gets to the point where the bbm symbol appears and indicates that it is 100% loaded, but the phone never turns on. It will display the 100% loaded bbm symbol until the battery dies and it shuts off or until I do a battery pull. I've done multiple battery pulls and tried to restart the phone, but the phone will not turn on and will not get any further than the bbm symbol that displays while the phone is loading. The phone was fine until I upgraded to the new software. Hopefully someone can help me with this issue.
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z30, Z10 (10.2.1.3442), 9860 (7.1), Samsung S4
My Carrier: Indosat

Re: BB Z10 not turning on after 10.2 software update

Hello Jsasso

I'd suggest to OS Reload through BlackBerry Link. Don't forget to backup your data.

Good luck and let us know the result.
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Tmobile

Hello Arthur72, thank you for your response. How do I go about backing up my data when the phone will not turn on at all to allow me to do so? Can i back up my phone through BB link even though my phone will not turn on? The OS reload will wipe my phone so I have been wondering if there was another alternative because I did not backup my data before updating the OS.
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Yikes! It's a pity  you did not back up before...as you suspect, if your device will not boot up, then you can't take a backup. Backups require interaction between your PC and your device...your device not properly functioning would preclude that interaction. This is the reason backups are always done before they are needed...they are not a reactionary thing to do but, rather, precautionary.

Given what you describe, it is unlikely you'll be able to take a backup...so sad. Recovery may or may not work via LINK OS reload. If not, then you would want to use instead an AutoLoader as that normally has the ability to load an OS to a device in the condition you describe.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code