Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

My Device: Q10
My Carrier: B

BB10 cant block apps from internet access in Application Permissions?

I have a Q10. BB 10.1 OS.

It appears I cant prevent third party apps from gaining access to the internet among other settings under the Securities/Application Permissions. This is in huge contrast to my 9700 where I can very specifically dictate what program has access to, whether that be Wifi, Data, Bluetooth etc.

Is there another way to do this or is this OS not complete yet and these functions will be included back in future iterations? Or is my OS a dated version?

This is problematic for me. Seems this problem presents as both a security issue in cases where the third party app has mal-intensions, as well as being a data leech should the program constantly utilize data unbeknownst to the user.

Internet is just one thing. What about the camera, mic etc? How do we know ID thieves are not making BB10 disguised as something useful so they can data mine the users and send all of their personal information back to them via unfettered internet access, mic access, camera access, GPS location access (hence know home + work addresses) and then perform criminal activities using your data?

Im shocked. I thought Blackberry is supposed to be better in the security department compared to Apple. THis is what I expected from Apple and Android. Or is this the new thing? All third party apps purposefully get internet access whether the user agrees or not?

New Contributor
My Device: BB Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB10 cant block apps from internet access in Application Permissions?

Great question. Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but can comment that these preloaded apps are using MB from my datapak that I paid money to have for MY personal use! Not theirs! I believe it's theft when they use what we pay for. Time to check legalities in my opinion.