Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

New Contributor
yankee777
My Device: BB Curve 9220
My Carrier: Vodafone

BIS data plan

If the new z10 can function on a normal data plan,then why not the other models? Its really a mess
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BIS data plan

Older models were designed to use the BIS network.

Z10 and newer models will use the normal data plans.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
devil426
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: China Unicom

Is that means Ican just cancle my BIS data plan? As I am live in China, maybe I just wait the China Unicom start to sell BB10 then see what to do?
Please use plain text.
JSanders

devil426 wrote:
Is that means Ican just cancle my BIS data plan? As I am live in China, maybe I just wait the China Unicom start to sell BB10 then see what to do?

That is true on the Z10, you will simply use a normal generic data plan.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
devil426

Our customers manager from China unicom know nothing about blackberry and bis data plan. Tomorrow I will try to talk with someone else to find out
Please use plain text.
JSanders

This is the China Mobile BIS login site

https://chinamobile.blackberry.com/

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
devil426

I am use China Unicom, today I called Unicom Blackberry customer service, they said they actually did not know for sure if I cancle my BIS plan will affect BBM or not, but they prety much sure it won't affect my email, they said just rebond email once again after I cancle BIS data plan.

Now I am confused, without BIS data plan, are we still be able to use BBM or not? Unicom Blackberry customer sevice said as BB10 still unofficial in China, so they don't know more details as well. What a Great Answer!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

devil426 wrote:

I am use China Unicom, today I called Unicom Blackberry customer service, they said they actually did not know for sure if I cancle my BIS plan will affect BBM or not, but they prety much sure it won't affect my email, they said just rebond email once again after I cancle BIS data plan.

Now I am confused, without BIS data plan, are we still be able to use BBM or not? Unicom Blackberry customer sevice said as BB10 still unofficial in China, so they don't know more details as well. What a Great Answer!

Hello,

BBM definitely works without a BIS data plan, as long as the carrier has properly configured their network. There are reports from some that their carrier makes them stay on BIS while they reconfigure their network, then drop BIS after that is done. There are other reports of having BIS in place impeding everything from functioning correctly. There further are reports of both legacy and BB10 devices losing services, regaining them, then losing them, then gaining them again...I suspect this has to do with the carrier network reconfigurations necessary to properly support both legacy and BB10 devices.

In any event, the carrier is in control. If their network is properly configured, BBM functions just fine on a non-BIS data plan on a BB10 device, but no BB-proprietary services (including BBM) will work at all if BIS is in place. But the carrier is in control...if they say they are not yet ready for BB10 devices, then it may or may not work. It should work, but there is no guarantee until the carrier states that their network is ready.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]

devil426 wrote:

Now I am confused, without BIS data plan, are we still be able to use BBM or not?

Yes, on the Z10, BBM works without the BIS plan.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
devil426