Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

Contributor
dslee
My Device: Z30 & Passport

Battery Drain with 10.2.0.424 Telus Release

before anyone says anything, yes, I've read the other thread on this topic, and I can't believe it's marked 'solved'.

i updated to 10.2 two days ago, and I'm lucky to get 4 hours out of my Z10. System CPU is steady between 30-35% at idle with memory useage @ 450MB+ and climbing.

Ridiculous.

I've got 4 batteries, and it doesn't matter which one is in use.

i have 3 email accounts - Exchange ActiveSync set to 30 days and 2 gmail accounts set to 30 minute sync intervals. I only have a handful of BBM contacts.

i've reviewed all app permissions and turned off GPS and location access on a few that don't need it.

Basically, I'm running a very typical setup, and having this issue is simply not acceptable.

BB, I used to be a fanboy, and I _do_ like 10.2, but I'm sorry, this kind if issue is just stepping on your own **bleep**.

While I'm at it, why on God's green earth can I not click 'upgrade' and wake up in the morning to an installed / rebooted device? instead I have to click to confirm / reboot and then wait for my Exchange to sync after the upgrade process finishes, meaning my device is useless for another hour.

does anyone at RIM actually use these things in the real world?

if this keeps up for much longer I'll be picking up a new Lumia very shortly. 5 years with BB, many clients on it too, countless hours managing BES severs, and it comes down to something as stupid as this.

And it _is_ stupid. Wtf is my Z10 doing? I don't have time for this **bleep**. Sure I could load a leaked 10.2 build and hope it fixes it (knowing other stuff will break), but I specifically waited for an official release to AVOID issues like this. I want and expect my 'smart' phone to work properly, not cause me grief.

Cheers,

Dave
Trusted Contributor
fuzzymonkey30
My Device: Z10

Re: Battery Drain with 10.2.0.424 Telus Release

The first few days after the upgrade occurs, you will experience your battery draining faster than normal as the phone gets use to the new OS. Mine was the same problem but after maybe 3-4 days I was fine again.
Contributor
dslee

Thanks for the reply, and I do expect that will be the case, but the fact remains that with this upgrade, BlackBerry significantly impacted my ability to function. 3 or 4 times in the last 2 days I've found my Z10 dead in my holster - meaning my clients and my family were unable to reach me.

At the very least, BB should make this 'initial sync' process only occur while the device is charging.

Cheers,

Dave
Trusted Contributor
fuzzymonkey30

Agreed, this upgrade does impact the users ability to function in an everyday lifestyle. Is this a blackberry specific issue though, I'm not familiar with how the IOS 7 upgrade went but it wouldn't surprise me if the iPhone users experienced similar problems.

I also agree, BB should of made this 'initial sync' process during the time the phone has finished updating and while the phone is connected to a power source. Notifying the user the phone has to sync up and get use to the new OS and advise them to keep it charged.
Contributor
dslee

iOS7 is lipstick on a pig.

That said, it doesn't have any battery issues, but in my week of using it on my iPad, the benefits are not great. I'd gladly go back to iOS6 (as would my wife on her 4s).

Cheers,

Dave
New Contributor
14theories

I'm experiencing similar issues.

If I click on an email in the hub it takes 10 seconds to open it.  

My CPU for system is running at a constant 50-60%. And the device is so hot that I don't want to put it in the holster.

I installed 1.2.0.424 over 24 hours ago.  Maybe it is doing something that will eventually make it better but it runs through the battery so fast that it keeps dying and then after I notice I switch to a new battery.

I would love an explaination from BB what is going on and how long it might take for these issues to either resolve themselves or when a new version will be released that wil fix these issues.  If my Z10 is not working well by monday (2 days) I'll have no choice but to go out and get a different device.  Sad, as this is the 6 BB I've owned and have loved them all but bottom line is, IT HAS TO WORK.  At this point I have no faith that it will work when I need it to.

Blackberry Link will not back up my z10 anymore since the update to 10.2.0.424

New Contributor
14theories

I managed to get backup working, wiped the phone. Reloaded the OS and then restored the backup.  The CPU was pegged overnight but when I woke up this morning it had all settled.  Way faster and amazing battery life. All the lag I was experiencing before is gone.

Contributor
dslee

After a full 3 days of my CPU running high, it dropped to normal yesterday afternoon, and all appears normal again.

Whatever the case, this is _not_ a 'solution'. It's a poor process that BlackBerry needs to resolve. 3 days to do 'something' makes no sense whatsoever. I'm sure it does to someone, but that someone needs to give their head a shake.

Cheers,

Dave
Contributor
northlondon

I have the same issue. I've performed a couple of wipe/reinstalls (10.2.0.424) that have resulted in the expected burst of system activity while indexing etc is performed and then calm, but it doesn't last.

At some point (sometiemes hours, usually a couple of days) the "system" process will begin to creep up until it's sitting at a solid 50%+, peaking at 120%(!). In this state it will kill the battery in under an hour. It's working so hard that it will not charge from USB or the Blackberry external battery caddy.

I'm at a loss to know how to proceed here. I have nothing outside the default apps on the phone, two IMAP (1&1) and one Exchange (Cobweb) accounts, Facebook and Twitter configured.

The phone is essentially useless, since I have no idea when the CPU will go into runaway and leave me with a brick. Even swapping out the battery will only give me another hour or so.

Orange UK have already replaced the phone for me, not that I really thought that it would help.

(Oh, and please save me the responses that just tell me that it's all working nicely for you. It really doesn't help me or anyone else suffering similar woes.)

Contributor
dslee

About an hour and a half ago, my Z10 kicked up to 50% + CPU usage, and reboots and battery pulls don't get it back down.

Soooooo fricken tired of this.

Blackberry - HUGE failure here. I have friends that work for you in Ottawa - I feel sorry for them.

Cheers,

Dave