Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520, Curve 9300, Bold 9650, Bold 9900, Z10, Q10
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Battery won't charge after OS 10.2.1 Upgrade

Hi, been a while since I've been here, largely cos I hardly have any issue with BB OS that I couldn't resolve, so much so I've become kinda a BB fix to friends and family. Lol.

So a cousin of mine was having issues with her BBM on a Z10 and she brought it to me to help her resolve, which I did, then I decided to upgrade her OS (via OTA) to 10.2.1 since her carrier (Airtel, Nigeria) was rolling it out. Everything went smoothly and the phone worked perfectly, no issues, until the battery drained, then we discovered the battery won't charge when you plug it in. It shows its charging, for a while, maybe 5mins or so and then just stops.

If we power off the phone and plug it in, it blinks the orange light after displaying the lightning bolt, indocating it is charging, after leaving it like that for 30mins, we put it back on, only to discover the battery level had actually dropped instead of increasing!

Any one else having a similar issue? Any suggestions? We have used another battery, other wall chargers, used a laptop instead of the wall charegr but we end up with the same result. I have updated two Z10s (both STL100-1) and a Q10, and this is the only one with issues.

I really need help!
Solutions: 6,121
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Battery won't charge after OS 10.2.1 Upgrade

Is this a Z10 model 100-1?

It sounds like the on-device battery is offsync with the actual battery charge. Your friend might try this:

Connect to the OEM wall outlet charger, allow it to charge a few hours.

Then, with it STILL CONNECTED to the charger, remove the battery for a minute, replace and see if it reboots or what do you see on the screen and LED?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor

Ok, I would try this.

When the device is off, and connected to the wall charger with the battery in it, it shows a lightning bolt, goes off for a while, then displays Blackberry 10, which goes off and then the LED starts blinking orange, indicating it is charging.

Note: I might not have the 'correct' sequence of things as the phone is not with me right now but I believe if its not right, its pretty close.

I would try your advice and revert, thanks
Trusted Contributor

Yes, it is a Z10 STL100-1. 

I did try your suggestion (put it off, connected it to the wall outlet for a few hours, removed the battery whilst it was still plugged in, then inserted the battery back), and your suggestion seemed to work cos when the phone booted, the battery level had increased and when I put it back off still leaving it to charge, the LED eventually turned green from the orange blinking charging indicator. 

But the catch is, once the battery level goes down, it doesn't and it is plugged in whilst in use, the battery level indicator stays the same. So if the phone is on 86% and then plugged, it stays that way until I do the 'put it off, whilst plugged in, let it charge a few hours then do a battery pull whilst it is still plugged in. 

This is very inconvenient to say the least. 

What would be a permanent solution to this?

Initially, I upgraded to: 

OS version 10.2.1.1925  VIA OTA then updated to same as OS version 10.2.1.2141 when I was having the issue, also via OTA

No, don't power it off. Leave the device ON.

Then, with it STILL CONNECTED to the charger, remove the battery for a minute, replace and see if it reboots or what do you see on the screen and LED?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor

Ok, JSanders, I hope I can try that cos right now, she is pretty **bleep** at me, blaming me for all the issues with the phone, and all I was trying to do was help out...

Trusted Contributor

Ok, first time I tried it, phone didn't go off, it didn't reboot and the touch screen still worked, I could move and swipe between APS.

After waiting a minute and putting the battery back, the battery ran down so fast it was unbelievable, even though it was still plugged to the power outlet, it was discharging went from 85% to 53% in less than 5mins without the phone being used.

So I turned it off, left it for a while, still plugged in and then switched it back on..The battery was now at 49%, meaning it was still discharging and not charging, although the LED was blinking yellow/amber, indicating it was charging. So I waited a while and removed the battery while it was still connected to the wall outlet and this time around, the phone went off and rebooted. I have since tried your suggestion a (like 3-4 times) and each time the phone reboots.

And when it reboots, the battery level drops, even though its still plugged in.

What could be the problem?

I'm at my wits end.

Buy a new battery.

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor

Well before we went out to get a new battery, we used a battery belonging to her friend of hers in a fully functional phone and her phone won't start! Once it displays the bb 10 logo and boots to about 6-10% , the phone reboots and this becomes an endless loop.

We have used 4 separate batteries and they all do the same thig. It only boots fully with her own battery!!!

Keep doing this:

Knowledge Base Updates