Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

New Contributor
tw1701
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Flipping between AT&T LTE and Emergency mode

Greetings,

I am the proud new owner of a BlackBerry Z10. Within a few days of getting the phone, I noticed it was flip-flopping constantly between AT&T LTE and emergency mode. I could not make or receive calls, and text messages I sent were often received multiple times. Here are some of the steps I took to try and resolve the problem:
1. Went to the AT&T store and had a new SIM card installed
2. Several days later, I went back since the problem persisted. They provided a replacement phone.
3. Performed a security wipe, interrupted it part way through, and performed a fresh install from a PC using BB Link.
4. Called AT&T support, who suggested replacing it with yet another phone. However, this didn't seem helpful since I purchased the original phone in Pennsylvania and swapped it out the first time in Texas - I wouldn't think they'd have phones from the same "batch" in such geographically disparate locations.

I'm out of ideas on what else could be causing this and would greatly appreciate any insight the community here could provide!

Thanks in advance!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Flipping between AT&T LTE and Emergency mode

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given what you describe, the only thing I can deduce is poor signal quality...what you describe will happen in areas that are "dead zones" for ATT coverage. In the USA, we have a long way to go before we attain truly "nationwide coverage"...no carrier yet has that. But, to investigate that, you must escalate with ATT as it's their network with which your device is having trouble communicating.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tw1701

Thank you for the quick reply!  I had two follow-up questions:

1) Shouldn't the phone attempt to "fall back" to basic 4G or 3G in areas without LTE coverage instead of going to emergency mode?

2) Could the signal issues you describe be device-specific?  I previously had an HTC Inspire (try not to laugh) and a Samsung Galaxy Note II, both of which worked without issue in the same locations.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

tw1701 wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply!  I had two follow-up questions:

1) Shouldn't the phone attempt to "fall back" to basic 4G or 3G in areas without LTE coverage instead of going to emergency mode?

Yes, it should. But, if no coverage exists at all, then SOS would be the only mode left to it. You can always try rebooting to see if that helps it re-gain signal. I discovered recently on mine that if I intentionally left the mobile network radio off (for some testing purposes) for 24 hours, then it could not re-acquire a proper carrier network signal without a reboot. It should not be so, but it may be so as the OS continues to evolve.

tw1701 wrote:

2) Could the signal issues you describe be device-specific?  I previously had an HTC Inspire (try not to laugh) and a Samsung Galaxy Note II, both of which worked without issue in the same locations.

Anything is possible.

Regardless of the root cause, if you obtained your Z10 from ATT and ATT is also your service provider, then they are 100% responsible for all of your formal support. It may be that deeper digging is needed, and even BlackBerry may want information from you. But the only way to start any formal investigative process is by you contacting ATT for formal support and potential escalation up to BlackBerry.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tw1701

Thank you for the help and suggestions!  I worked with AT&T support and they "did something" ...the phone has been stable and working flawlessly for a few weeks now.  Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what they did to correct the problem; all I know is that it went to their "L3 support" who in turn worked with Blackberry.  It took them about a day to fully fix the issue but since then, it's been all blue skies.

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent!! That's exactly how the formal support model is supposed to work...I'm very happy that it did so in your case. Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.