Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

Contributor
cjbluez
My Device: Q10 (SQN 100-2W) OS 10.1.0.2039

Help needed (upgrade or transfer) ??

Hello,

I recently got the new Q10 but I haven't yet taken it out of the box. Currently im using my 9930..
My dilemma is that my Q10 is not the latest software version and says on the box it's 10.1.0.2039.
I wanted to know if I should update the OS on my Q10 before I transfer my data from my 9930 first ??
I'm figuring if I transfer everything BEFORE the upgrade.. wouldn't it make it more difficult, longer, and require me to duplicate some of the same initial procedures ??
Lastly if anyone could help guide me on how I go about doing the right procedure. On the Q10 (where do I get the upgrade on my PC or should I do it OTA ?) etc.
I would be so very grateful for any and all help...

Best Regards,
C J
Best Regards,
C J
Trusted Contributor
runyamhere
My Device: Z10 * Q10 * Z30 * Passport

Re: Help needed (upgrade or transfer) ??

Good day,

You need to insert a SIM card, the swipe down to show Settings, under settings scroll down to where it says Software Updates, Check for New Software. Make sure you do this while connected to WIFI. It will show you if there is an update to the software. You can also download the latest BlackBerry Link, connect the device to the PC and click on Reload Software, it will check for an update to the software.

It would be good to update before transfer of data from the 9930 so that you have no issues with restore of data from backup. Hope all goes well.

Contributor
cjbluez

Runyamhere,

Thanks for the help ! Only issue is, I don't have WIFI. Can I still use this procedure but with my network instead ???
Best Regards,
C J
Trusted Contributor
runyamhere
My Device: Z10 * Q10 * Z30 * Passport

You should not use the mobile network as this can make the phone unusable, if you do not have WIFI I suggest you do the BlackBerry Link route or through the BlackBerry website by clicking on the Software tab.

Contributor
cjbluez

Whoops !! I didn't take into consideration your second option of using my PC and Blackberry link to check for an OS update..
So I think I should be ok.. I probably need to download the blackberry link desktop software to my computer first ?? Can I do that by connecting my device to my PC ?? If so is there a particular option to install the BB Link software to my computer first ?
Then I can upgrade my OS if needed and furthermore transfer of my data from my 9930. Am I correct ???

Best Regards,
Best Regards,
C J
Contributor
hmsingh
My Device: Q 10

While I got Q10 a week back I am bewildered with not what has been added but what has been taken away - as an example - No Groups, No Low resolution videos possibility, No possibility to use speed dial without being on dialler screen, even on bbm groups you do not have history possibility,
Contributor
hmsingh
My Device: Q 10

I am from the old school of BlackBerry since 10 years and having just laid my hands on Q10 I felt I will be more prompt and efficient with my time but I am loosing sleep - even a manual help link when phone was fired did not open and there is absolutely not a single soul who could really help in BlackBerry domain in india - I feel this is a misfit for a slow learning generation ( 50s or nearby) as is almost untouchable - I do not know where to save my mails as saved messages, how to pick up videos from my past media card which is now inserted, changing signature of mails once set, in short you have too much to choose but remain hungry

Contributor
cjbluez

I also have been a Loyal Blackberry user since the 7250 LoL !! I agree that you should be able to use the speed dial key Any time.. Also I'm not happy that BB left out a native Podcast Player !!
Podcasts are the future of much news and media and to just leave it out is not acceptable.. Even my old curve 8330 had a podcast player..
I really don't understand why Blackberry came out with the Q5 model when there is so much work needed with the Q10 ??
I hope that the company gets their act together because, although BB devices are top sellers in the Canada, UAE and EU they are FAR from the top here in the USA... :smileysad:
Best Regards,
C J