Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

TCT
Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Virgin / Roam
Accepted Solution

Q10 Will Not Upgrade to 10.2

This is my first time ever in a "tech" forum so if the problem I am having is answered somewhere on this forum, please accept my appolgies in advance for not looking closer :smileyhappy:

My Q10 OS is 10.1.0.4189.  I have been trying to update to the 10.2 since it was introduced last month but either through BB LINK or "over the air" the message is the same "You have the latest software".

I have tried the normal hard and soft boot to no avail.  Is there something else I should do or is my OS the latest for my Q10?

Contributor
My Device: Z30 STA100-3, Z10 STL100-4, PlayBook, 9930, 9630
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Q10 Will Not Upgrade to 10.2

Unfortunately over the air (OTA) updates or updates through Link are tied to whatever OS your carrier currently has allowed to be available.

To use the latest OS releases (such as "leaked" OS or newer releases from other carriers) you would have to find the files from a third-party website.

TCT
Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me so quicly, I really appreciate it!

One thing I should have mentioned is that my wife is with the same carrier (Virgin Mobile Canada) but has the BB Z10 which updated almost a month ago.  Is the update not the same?

Thanks,

Colin

Contributor
My Device: Z30 STA100-3, Z10 STL100-4, PlayBook, 9930, 9630
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

While the features available on 10.2 on the Z10 and 10.2 on the Q10 will be the same, the actual software is different between devices. And for whatever reason carriers aren't releasing software evenly across all BB10 devices.

So far, carriers typically will release an update for Z10 only, Q10 only, Z30 only. This means the Z10 could be running 10.2, the Q10 on 10.1 and the Z30 could be running 10.2.1.

It would certainly be nice to see the carriers release updates evenly across all BB10 devices, if only to help avoid confusion on what a BB10 device can do.

There's a lot of information and instructions available on the Web on how to install newer operating systems for BB10 devices that bypass Link and OTA, but it isn't something recommended for novices. For the most part, it can be pretty easy, but you wouldn't be able to access BlackBerry or your provider if you ran into issues while trying to install an update in one of the "workaround" methods you'd find online.

Solutions: 6,124
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

You said in another thread, that your Q10 is from Verizon in the US?

Then you will either need to to get a Verizon SIM card in the device to the get the over the air update, or upgrade manually using an autoloader file.

Nothing to be scared of. If you need help , please ask.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
TCT
Contributor

Thank you for your help!  I am only 20 minutes away from the border so that seems to be the easiest and less nerve wracking way for me to proceed to get a Verison SIM card.

Ok. cool.

I have a few friends who've done the same... insert your Verizon card > check for software updates > get the update, change cards.

I'd always advise a backup FIRST, using the BlackBerry Link software.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
TCT
Contributor

I attended a Verizon store in Niagara Falls NY this morning and persuaded a very helpful CSR to lend me one of their SIM cards and allow me to log on to their wifi.

My Q10 did update but unfortunately, only to a newer version of 10.1 (10.1.0.4189).

If nothing else, this version seems to have rectified the "freezing" problem.

Yea, so far Verizon has not released the Q10 and Z30 updates, only for the Z10.

Knowledge Base Updates
TCT
Contributor

Yes, I figured that out when I got back accross the border and checked on line..............LOL

At least I know it will work when they do get around to releasing it and as long as I get the same accomodating CSR!  :smileyhappy: